• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

"Catastrophic Failure" 0x8000ffff - Please help

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> General >> "Catastrophic Failure" 0x8000ffff - Please help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"Catastrophic Failure" 0x8000ffff - Please help - 29.Apr.2005 3:40:00 PM   
phillen

The ISA 2004 has been running fine, no problems. I went in lastnight to add an access rule and whenever I hit APPLY, I get a error 0x8000ffff Catastrophic Failure and that's it.

Nothing is logged in the event logs, so I have no idea where to even start looking.

Googled to no avail - so if anyone out there can give me atleast a starting point to look at - I would greatly appreciate it.

Paul
Post #: 1
RE: "Catastrophic Failure" 0x8000ffff - Pleas... - 29.Apr.2005 7:59:00 PM   
phillen

Well it looks like I found my own answer and it troubles me greatly.

I must stress the firewall was working "flawlessly" prior to this mishap and there is no rhyme or reason for this fubar.

Everytime I attempted to add a new Access Rule, I would be greeted with a warning with the following error: 0x8000ffff Catastrophic Failure and that's it, nothing in the event logs to point me to the problem. After looking deeper, I realized all of our DNS Servers, Mail Server and Webserver was no longer accessible from the Internet, we were dead in the water.

Since it appears to do with publishing, I attempted to delete all rules for published servers, just to be greeted with the same error - CATASTROPHIC FAILURE. I received this same warning on each delete attempt until I came to the Mail Server, which it allowed me to delete and apply the change. I re-published the Mail Server and everything has been working fine since.

Now the part that troubles me. This happened around 10pm EST last night for no reason at all, and there was nothing logged into the event log to even give me a hint as to what happened - it just left me dead in the water. This blocked our site from the Internet for over 12 hours from the time it was discovered to the time it was fixed (by Gods pure grace might I add [Wink] and caused alot of fustrated customers and many pages from salesman wanting to know when we would be back online.

I got it fixed this time, but now I wonder about the next unforseen fubar and what interruption it might cause. I used ISA 2000 for a long time and as much of a pain as it was at times, it never did this to me, atleast not without telling I was just screwed and had to re-load.

So Microsoft you owe me for the cost of one Rum and Coke consumed at lunch to bring my blood pressure back inline :0)

Well there was my "Unfortunate Event", hopefully there will be no more like it in the future or it might cause me to become a lunch time social drunk.

Paul

(in reply to phillen)
Post #: 2
RE: "Catastrophic Failure" 0x8000ffff - Pleas... - 8.Dec.2005 9:18:26 AM   
vinchan1

I encountered such problem but my case is unlucky because... I haven't any publishing rule... The server is crashed... I cannot export any setting out and reinstall my ISA Server...
Now, I hope reinstallation of ISA Server can solve it otherwise... Microsoft MUST SOLVE THIS PROBLEM!

(in reply to phillen)
Post #: 3
RE: "Catastrophic Failure" 0x8000ffff - Pleas... - 9.Dec.2005 12:37:35 PM   
Jason Jones

From what I have seen, this is normally caused by corrupt registry entries. For one customer I dealt with this was caused by two people using and commiting ISA changes via the MMC from two independant RPD sessions at the same time.

Sometimes you are lucky and you can trace down the "dodgy" rules and remove them from the registry with regedit, othertimes it is a reinstall...so it is always work backing up the ISA node and firewall policies as and when you make changes to them and keep them "off box".

As ISA enterprise doesnt use the registry, but uses the ADAM directory instead (CSS), I would guess that this would be much more stable in this regard.

Maybe Microsoft PSS can FedEx you a 'Rum and Coke'

JJ

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk/ and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk/

(in reply to vinchan1)
Post #: 4
RE: "Catastrophic Failure" 0x8000ffff - Pleas... - 9.Dec.2005 6:32:47 PM   
vinchan1

Unfortunately, I need to reinstall the OS too.
The ISA cannot reinstall due to the failture of installation of SQL Desktop Engine from the log file...

Microsoft Engine also states that the 0x8000ffff catastrophic error is due to corruption of registry, he provided some solution to me, I will investigate it first...

(in reply to Jason Jones)
Post #: 5
RE: "Catastrophic Failure" 0x8000ffff - Pleas... - 9.Dec.2005 6:37:29 PM   
vinchan1

I also think that the two RDP session problem but in my company, only me can modify the setting... so impossible AT THE SAME TIME...

(in reply to vinchan1)
Post #: 6
RE: "Catastrophic Failure" 0x8000ffff - Pleas... - 25.Jan.2006 11:45:17 PM   
ranweb

A possible fix... compared to making registry changes

I recently I had an issue and received the Catastrophic Failure message.  I discovered that a Rule and primarily a Listener that was associated with the rule had been corrupted.  I reviewed several of the discussions about this "Catastrophic Failure" and was hoping that I wouldn't have to make any registry changes (I didn't want any downtime or late nights). 

The issue was I couldn't make any changes to the firewall... every time I attempted to make change, I would get the error.  I was able to export all the rules and I was able to export all the objects, except for one... the listener that was corrupted.  Because the listener was corrupted, I couldn't delete the rule... when I attempted to click apply, the error would occur.  I attempted to delete the Listener; however, since the Rule was still there, it would not allow this either.

Now onto the possible work around... 
I proceeded to delete the rule, which it allow.  At this point, I left the firewall in a "non-commit" stage (I didn't click Accept).  I then was able to remove the listener without any issues.  Once I removed the listener, I then clicked the Accept button and the firewall accepted the changes without any errors.  I then was able to modify anything without generating the error.

Randy

(in reply to vinchan1)
Post #: 7
RE: "Catastrophic Failure" 0x8000ffff - Pleas... - 10.Jul.2006 8:25:28 PM   
acausemaker

quote:

Now onto the possible work around... 
I proceeded to delete the rule, which it allow.  At this point, I left the firewall in a "non-commit" stage (I didn't click Accept).  I then was able to remove the listener without any issues.  Once I removed the listener, I then clicked the Accept button and the firewall accepted the changes without any errors.  I then was able to modify anything without generating the error.

I just have to reply to this and say THANK YOU for posting this bit of advice.  It saved my hide and a $250 support fee too!  We had the exact same issue, and I followed this tip and it worked beautifully!

(in reply to ranweb)
Post #: 8
RE: "Catastrophic Failure" 0x8000ffff - Pleas... - 11.Feb.2008 4:57:13 PM   
PvKoppen

Feb 2008: I ran into this issue on ISA 2004 with SP3 installed.

What happened is i created a new protocol definition. I Added a secondary protocol and later removed it. Somewhere this must have upset the information stored in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Fpc\Storage\Array-Root\Arrays\<Array-ID>\RuleElements\Protocols\<Protocol-ID>\PrimaryConnections

In the registry section of the new protocol there where somehow two primary connections listed for the protol i had created. This eventhough i had only created one Primary Connection in ISA. I found out thet the second list primary connection had all the same data as the first one but the <Protocol-ID> was borrowed from the next listed protocol. This must have caused the ISA MMC to fail on trying to load two protocols with a Primary/SecondaryConnection ID that was not Unique. When i removed the duplicated Connection ID the ISA MMC started working gain.

I used a technique listed on another web page to find which protocol was failing:
1. Export the entire Protocol section to a REG file
2. Split the Reg file into a number of separate Files (Be sure to keep a protocol and it's primary/seconady connections together)
3. rename the Protocol section to a Temporary other name.
4. Import the Separate Reg Files one at a time and After each Reg File open The ISA MMC. (The ISA MMC will give you an other error saying that some of the protocol definitions are not in the toolbox but are used in rules. You can ignore thsi error for now since we are trying to fix this. As long as the Toolbox windows Shows up with the required groupings it's still working!)
5. When you find the file that produced the error you can split the file in smaller sections to find out which protocol caused it. Remember it will be a combination of two protocols that conflict by both having the same Connection ID.
6. When you find out which two protocols clash. Either work out which is the faulty Connection ID or Only import the Procotol definition and not the connection definition. You can then use the ISA MMC to redefine the Connection definitions.

(in reply to phillen)
Post #: 9
RE: "Catastrophic Failure" 0x8000ffff - Pleas... - 15.Feb.2008 1:12:45 PM   
jmilito

I had the issue as well...  Rules were corrupt.  I just uninstalled ISA, reinstalled, patched, and re-created my rule set.  I now have several exported ISA backups on our file server.  The whole process took about 45 minutes.  I have done enough ISA installs to basically have the rules I need memorized though.

(in reply to PvKoppen)
Post #: 10
RE: "Catastrophic Failure" 0x8000ffff - Pleas... - 19.Sep.2008 10:37:01 AM   
y.alkhateeb

Hey guys,

I'm facing the same problem and non of the above slutions worked with me, thank gor i backed up the rules 2 days before the catastrophic failure happened, this error occure when i try to add rule or restore the rules or open the toolbox ... another error pops up with the following code: 0X80070057 ... Any idea

< Message edited by y.alkhateeb -- 19.Sep.2008 10:38:04 AM >

Yasser Alkhateeb
Network and Communication Engineer

(in reply to jmilito)
Post #: 11
RE: "Catastrophic Failure" 0x8000ffff - Pleas... - 19.Sep.2008 10:41:10 AM   
y.alkhateeb

This occures after i tried to publish the exchange server ... FYI

Yasser Alkhateeb
Network and Communication Engineer

(in reply to jmilito)
Post #: 12
RE: "Catastrophic Failure" 0x8000ffff - Pleas... - 13.Dec.2011 3:43:45 AM   
gmartijn

Same stuff over here. One collegue added a rule, and all things went off the rails. Turned out that particular rule recently added was the cause of all problems. (server access rule). When i deleted that rule, all things worked fine again.

(in reply to y.alkhateeb)
Post #: 13

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> General >> "Catastrophic Failure" 0x8000ffff - Please help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts