• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

A way to prevent users from disabling firewall client?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> A way to prevent users from disabling firewall client? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A way to prevent users from disabling firewall client? - 28.Apr.2006 4:06:48 AM   
03Mini

My question is this: Is there a simple (or difficult) way to "lock" the controls for the Firewall Client so a user can't disable it?

My requirements:

1) When laptop users leave the building they need to be able to surf from Internet Cafes, Home network, and so on. , they must be forced to use ISA when "in the building". I'm running ISA2004 with Surfcontrol.

2)Employees and guests MUST be forced through ISA. For guests, we don't have a problem informing guests that they must configure their browser to use our ISA box.

I will accomplish this by either making the ISA the default gateway or by configuring the internet router ignore all traffic unless it comes from ISA.

My Failures:

1) I configured a GPO to force IE to use ISA and disallowed clearing of the checkbox in Tools | Internet Options | Connections | Lan Settings | Use a Proxy Server...    This works for desktops that don't leave the building, but doesn't address the "Firefox issue"

2) This also failed because when the laptops left the building, they couldn't see the proxy server, and couldn't get to the internet. (woops, we learn by doing ) It also had no effect on users who have firefox, opera, and any other browser out there.

Thanks and regards,

-James
Post #: 1
RE: A way to prevent users from disabling firewall client? - 28.Apr.2006 4:06:57 PM   
LLigetfa

The FWC saves its settings to INI files and you can make them read-only.  The only downside is that it throws an error when they try to change the settings.

The School of Hard Knocks is a mean teacher. She gives the exam before the lesson.

(in reply to 03Mini)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> A way to prevent users from disabling firewall client? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts