• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Age of Empires with ISA server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> Age of Empires with ISA server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Age of Empires with ISA server - 2.Nov.2001 5:08:00 PM   
smoothey

I've read various articles on getting games working with ISA, including enabling the direct play settings and using the Firewall client.

I had some limited success in getting to age of empires working over the internet (but never with the gaming zone).

My main goal at the moment however is to get games to work between my Network and my friends network by whatever means necessary.

I have a class B network 192.168.x.x currently with static ip mappings behind and ISA firewall that is connected directly to the internet using a cable modem. My IP address is relatively static (had same one for 3 months).

My friend has a similar setup (also ISA server), I have access to the remote network configuration and we both trust each other.

So my question is, how do we get games (specifically Age of Empires) working between a pc within my network and a pc within his network?

Ant Smoothey
MCSE NT4

Post #: 1
RE: Age of Empires with ISA server - 2.Nov.2001 5:29:00 PM   
JaimeP

Well, I have some good news and some bad news for you. The bad news first:

You can't make a rule for the Age of Empires Internet Gaming Zone lobby. The reason for this is that every time the Zone servers are rebooted, that Zone lobby gets a new port number. So if I was to sit down and figure out what the port number was it would only work until the next time they rebooted the servers.

The good news:

We should be able to make direct IP work though. This is something that I'll have to look into, but I think we should be able to make it work. One of you will have to publish some ports on one end so that you can connect to him. I'll see what I can come up with for you guys.

-Jaime

(in reply to smoothey)
Post #: 2
RE: Age of Empires with ISA server - 2.Nov.2001 7:48:00 PM   
smoothey

Thats what I thought the current situation was.

In this age of increasing use of home networks Microsoft should perhaps make the zone more network friendly.

Let me know if you succeed!

(in reply to smoothey)
Post #: 3
RE: Age of Empires with ISA server - 2.Nov.2001 10:25:00 PM   
Jez

I plat AOE a LOT...The only way ive got it to work properly is to create and any-any strategy (open everything up). I tried following some suggestions from various gaming forums, and almost got it working...other people could join the game, but they didnt see the chat text in the join game screen, or in game.

However, just thinking, surly you could set up a VPN if you trust each other. Only needs to be 1 way, and they are easy to setup.

I'll try this later...but im sure it will work (ive played quake3/unreal/tribes over VPN's). Unless of course you want more people to play than just you 2...then your back to opening ISA right up again.

AOE2 does work through ISA however, and I have the config for that.

------------------
Regards,
Jez
Email: jez@ateallthepies.com
Web: www.AteAllThePies.com

(in reply to smoothey)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> Age of Empires with ISA server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts