• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Block Spam using unique method of slowness

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> ISA Server Wish List >> Block Spam using unique method of slowness Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Block Spam using unique method of slowness - 30.Apr.2003 5:29:00 PM   
PeterWilson69

This is my wish for ALL firewalls in general.

When a new e-mail message is recieved, the ISA server slows right-down....taking as long as possible to accept the e-mail message. Let the admin tweak a setting to say messages from myBuddies will be instant, and anyone else can still send me e-mail, however it will be painfully slow. In this way, spammers will actually have to wait the full round tcp/ip trip (which has been grossly extended) in order to send just a single e-mail message. If everyone did this, spam would only be attempted by the most dedicated spammers, and because the value is adjustable it means no changes to existing e-mail server or client software! Is this brilliant or what???
Post #: 1
RE: Block Spam using unique method of slowness - 1.May2003 3:06:00 AM   
AHIT

I get the impression that someone was either recently spammed or was used as a relay-host?

(in reply to PeterWilson69)
Post #: 2
RE: Block Spam using unique method of slowness - 1.May2003 4:30:00 AM   
PeterWilson69

Can you see anything wrong with my idea or not? It seems to solve a very complex issue, in perhaps the easiest manner possible, by making mass-mailing a very long-and-slow process for spammers (ie. having to wait for an extended tcp/ip round-trip) As networks get faster, spam will only increase, unless spam is less atrractive. I think slowing down e-mail delivery for unknown e-mails senders is a perfect solution.

Current solutions reply on keeping up to date with lists DNS or otherwise, however my proposal does not involve keeping up at all (and let's face it, many people hate to apply constant patches or keep their spam lists up to date).

It requires no change to user's behaviour, it requires no spam-blocking software, no mail server upgrades and no e-mail client upgrades. In fact, this solution is hardware/software platform independant.

I get spam everyday, and unlike some people I don't want to "increase the size of my penis" :-p At least I'm trying to find a smart solution. It is my understanding that ISA server has a SDK and am wondering if I could induce this slow-down with a custom made app. I think I have the tools, but have not looked into it just yet.

Intelligent thoughts anyone?

Post #: 3
RE: Block Spam using unique method of slowness - 5.Jun.2003 8:59:00 AM   
AHIT

You could fairly easily impliment this with a packetshaper.
In fact, I used to do exactly this albeit with another protocol. I had some users who insisted that they HAD to be able to receive streaming video/audio. (damend execs) Naturally though, this can be a real bandwidth hog.
So, in my T1500 I setup audio/video to a capped 1Kb/sec partition - it worked but painfully slow. Even worse if more than 1 user tried to lsiten to the same site. These were back in the days our of superfast 64K ISDN connection.
Nowadays with a (partial) E1 I don't even bother. Coupled with ISA using the internal WMS server as a proxy for live streams I don't care if I have 30 users all listening to the same live site as I only get 1 actual request/stream on the the outside!

BTW - anyone wanna buy a Packeteer T1500 with a 128Kb WAN interface? The cost of upgrading it was just too damned much so it's sitting in my rack consuming power but doing nothing!

Post #: 4
RE: Block Spam using unique method of slowness - 7.Jun.2003 6:05:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Tolk,

Good to hear that you use Live Stream Splitting. People don't ask about it too much, but it working pretty nicely!

Thanks!
Tom

Post #: 5
RE: Block Spam using unique method of slowness - 15.Dec.2003 1:53:00 PM   
rkincer

Tolk,

What did you find for the best documentation for installing and configuring the WMS server? I have thought about setting that up a few times since we have so many people insisting the same thing here..<g>

Thank you,

Rick

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> ISA Server Wish List >> Block Spam using unique method of slowness Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts