• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Broadband router that works with ISA PPTP

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Branch Office >> Broadband router that works with ISA PPTP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Broadband router that works with ISA PPTP - 18.Nov.2009 10:27:36 AM   
gastonl

Guys,
I need to install a Voip physical phone and his laptop connected to our PPTP ISA 2006 VPN, in order to do that I need to buy a broadband router that can stablish and mantain a tunnel site to site from his house to my VPN Server, I know that in theory pretty much any new router (Linksys, D-LINK, etc.) can do it, but I read about people having problems also.
Can anyone of you confirm what broadband router (brand and model) are you using and is proven to work with my PPTP VPN

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Broadband router that works with ISA PPTP - 20.Nov.2009 2:31:50 PM   
pwindell

Even if it did work you would have to configure and maintain a full Site-to-Site VPN at the ISA for every person that did this. 

20 of these people = 20 permanetly maintained site-to-Site VPNs on the ISA
20 of these people = 20 home networks are now permanently part of your network
20 of these people = 20 home networks that need to all run differnet IP Subnet Ranges to avoid IP conflicts.

This means every personal "home" network becomes part of  your network,...and what ever mess they or their kids make on their home network is effectively being done on your network along with it.

Can you spell "S-e-c-u-r-i-t-y S-u-i-c-i-d-e"??

Phillip Windell

(in reply to gastonl)
Post #: 2
RE: Broadband router that works with ISA PPTP - 20.Nov.2009 2:38:43 PM   
gastonl

Well Cisco, Nortel can do it, they do have their own business router lines where people just bring them whereever they are, plug them into an internet connections and voila.

This is a common requirement in modern biz life.

I know that I can do a site to site from 1 ISA to another ISA but with 2 K for hardware, 1 k Windows server and 1 K for ISA Software, so for 4 K I will better move my whole VPN system to Cisco.

Gaston

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 3
RE: Broadband router that works with ISA PPTP - 20.Nov.2009 3:46:32 PM   
pwindell

They probably have an appliance that is a "mate" to the mobile one the user is carrying around that sits on the LAN edge to receive the connection.  This is not a site-to-Site VPN,...this is a Remote Access VPN that is being performed by a portable device instead of the PC.  This is not the same thing as what you are asking about doing with a Linksys or a Dlink device.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult,..it is just when people try to sell their "gizmo desires" as if they are "requirements" it gets me all riled up.

This IP Phone "thing" is not a business "requirement",...it is a business "desire",...and of only some people,...but not a requirement.   Having a phone may be a requirement,...it is not a requirement that it be specifically an IP phone used in this particular manner.

It isn't that common because IP phones all by themselves are not that common,...and not all of them that do exist are operated this way which makes this particular thing even less common than just the IP phones by themselves.

People need to learn to tell the difference between "wants" and "requirements". We have a traveling Sales Team and their only real requirements is to eat,..go to the bathroom once in a while,...and sell something.  They can do that with a pencil, paper, and their car keys,...the rest are luxueries. There is not one single IP Phone product anywhere in our company and it has been around since the 1950's,...so we have had plenty of time to come up with them,...but we haven't,...because they are not a requirement.

Anyway,..I digress...

What you wanting to do is a form of Remote Access VPN (connects a single host to a single network),...but what you are asking to do is Site-to-Site VPN (connects multiple networks together).  If you want to do what you have seen or heard of people doing,...then you need to get the exact same products that they are using to do it that are specifically designed to do what they do.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to gastonl)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Branch Office >> Broadband router that works with ISA PPTP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts