• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Connecting to MSSQL$MSFW by SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Connecting to MSSQL$MSFW by SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Connecting to MSSQL$MSFW by SQL Server 2000 Enterprise ... - 1.Mar.2005 8:45:00 AM   
IUnknown

Hi Tom,

In ISA Server 2004 FAQ: Monitoring and Logging the question I have tried connecting to MSDE on the ISA Server 2004 computer with either a DSN or with Enterprise Manager from another computer. Why does this fail? is answered by Microsoft experts this way: The MSDE instance used by ISA Server 2004 has network protocols disable, and you cannot connect to it remotely. You can only connect using Enterprise Manager when Enterprise Manager is installed on the ISA Server computer.

I installed SQL Server 2000 (SP3) Enterprise Manager on ISA Server 2004 computer and noticed MSSQL$MSFW instance runnig, which is obviously the MSDE logger for ISA Server.

As far as we know that IT IS POSSIBLE, the further question is: HOW???

I tried several ways to connect to it via named pipes and TCP/IP, creating DSN and more... but all my efforts failed.

Any way out?

TIA,
Vsevolod
Post #: 1
RE: Connecting to MSSQL$MSFW by SQL Server 2000 Enterpr... - 2.Mar.2005 6:37:00 AM   
IUnknown

I GOT THAT! [Smile]

Jack Peakock (peacock@simconv.com) replied this question in microsoft.public.isaserver newsgroup:

===

The firewall MSDE is a SQL 2000 instance. You can register it in Enterprise
Manager using the name "nodename\MSFW", where "nodename" is the name of the
firewall. For example, my firewall node name is W3WALL, so I register
W3WALL\MSFW as the SQL Server in Enterprise Manager.

You may encounter some problems if you try to access the instance remotely,
instead of running Enterprise Manager on the firewall. MSFW runs as a local
service (login is NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) and doesn't have any logins
set up for network authentication other than "sa" and
BUILTIN\Administrators. Install the client tools on the firewall, login as
Administrator, and you shouldn't have any problems with Ent Mgr or Query
Analyzer. Be aware that normal behavior is to create a new ISALOG database
every day, so you will see several in the list of databases.

===

(in reply to IUnknown)
Post #: 2
RE: Connecting to MSSQL$MSFW by SQL Server 2000 Enterpr... - 7.Mar.2005 10:39:00 PM   
mnyquist

If you want to connect to MSDE remotely, you need to install the client tools on the ISA box, then run SVRNETCN.exe from \program files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Binn, and turn on TCP port 1433. Stop and restart MSDE, and you'll be able to access remotely via the client tools.

Mark

(in reply to IUnknown)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Connecting to MSSQL$MSFW by SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts