• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTTP client article

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Web Publishing >> Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTTP client article Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTTP cl... - 5.Jan.2004 1:59:00 PM   
tshinder

This thread is for discussing the article on configuring the Outlook 2003 client to use RPC over HTTP at http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/outlookrpchttp.html.

Thanks!
Tom

[ January 05, 2004, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: tshinder ]
Post #: 1
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 8.Jan.2004 8:32:00 PM   
You can indeed create a profile while not on the network hosting the Exchange 2003 server... In my experience, all Outlook will do is complain that it cannot verify the login and you can just continue on and configure for RPC-HTTPS... Once you start Outlook, it will connect via RPC-HTTPS as usual...

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 2
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 9.Jan.2004 2:55:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Ryan,

Thanks! I've never been able to make it work that way. Maybe I wasn't trying hard enough? It seemed that the profile creation process just halted when the client wasn't able to connect and confirm the account. I'll have to try things again and see what happens.

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 10.Jan.2004 1:21:00 AM   
Yes sir, After configuring Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2003 to accept RPC/HTTPS, as well as configuring the PIX to only allow ports 80, 143 and 443 through to Exchange 2003. I was able to sucessfully configure my Outlook 2003 client at my home office to connect to Exchange via RPC/HTTPS throught the PIX.

Outlook 2003 complains about not being able to verify the account because 135 is not availible, but after finishing up the configureation, the connection is able to be made.

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 4
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 11.Jan.2004 6:25:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Ryan,

Thanks!

Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 14.Jan.2004 11:14:00 AM   
Pela

First, to figure 6 it's a backend exchange server you need to type in here.

In the final version of Outlook 2003 there seems to be some problems with UPN logon, the KB830355 solved my first logon with RPC over HTTPs problems.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=830355

/Peter

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 6
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 15.Jan.2004 7:53:00 AM   
ryguy

I can't get this to work! Here is my setup:

sbs 2003 behind a NAT router. Ports 143, 443 & 80- are fwd' to the server. I am running a new exchange owa site (created from within Exchange sys mgr). This site has a fqdn of webmail.url.com.

I cannot set up the client pointing to that fqdn. only the internal name will work. ie (servername). I have tried throwing 'server.domain.com' and it says the server isn't available. In any case...I have configured the 'connect over http' settings many different ways including the way you showed. I have ssl enabled on the owa site, as well as a certificate already created (which works fine).

Any suggestions? Thanks [Smile]

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 7
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 15.Jan.2004 7:54:00 AM   
ryguy

also does 143 need to be forwarded to the server? i tried it as the guy a few posts up said he had configured it that way...didn't make a difference [Smile]

Tnx

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 8
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 15.Jan.2004 2:31:00 PM   
Pela

Port 143/tcp is IMAP and isn't needed for RPC over HTTPs.
Is the CA for the certificate imported in "Trusted Root CA"?
Have you tried <servername>.<ad domaine> in The "Microsoft Exchange Server?
In Exchange Proxy settings the server name need to be the domain name the certificat is issued to.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 9
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 15.Jan.2004 2:33:00 PM   
tshinder

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Larsen:
First, to figure 6 it's a backend exchange server you need to type in here.

In the final version of Outlook 2003 there seems to be some problems with UPN logon, the KB830355 solved my first logon with RPC over HTTPs problems.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=830355

/Peter

Hi Peter,

But if you enter the back end Exchange Server, that would not resolve correctly, since the publishing rule redirects requests to the front end server.

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 10
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 15.Jan.2004 4:02:00 PM   
Pela

But you'v already made a tunnel throug the frontend server.
This is the only way i'v got it to work behind a router with only port 80 and 443 open.
Then again i haven't tried without the patch for UPN logon...

/Peter

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 11
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 15.Jan.2004 6:52:00 PM   
ryguy

Certificate has been imported and is trusted.

I can connect to exchange perfectly using the local dns name (ie servername or servername.domain)
Any other suggestions?

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 12
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 16.Jan.2004 1:07:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Ryguy,

If you're trying to remotely access it, make sure your DNS is configured according the suggestions in the ISA/Exchange Kit.

However, only the front end server is published in the doc in the kit. The situation may be quite different with RPC over HTTP publishing when there is only a single Exchange Server and no front end.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 13
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 16.Jan.2004 12:23:00 PM   
Pela

quote:

I can connect to exchange perfectly using the local dns name (ie servername or servername.domain)
Any other suggestions?

That's is also the only way i made it work, i wasn't able to use a fqdn like webmail.domaine.com only servername.ad_domainename.

/Peter

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 14
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 16.Jan.2004 2:50:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Peter,

But if you make the profile in advance, the DNS methods I describe work perfectly. I use it all the time! [Smile]

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 15
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 16.Jan.2004 3:20:00 PM   
Pela

Hi Tom

Sure, if you can connect with RPC while configuring the profile the client resolves the correct servername and configures it in the profile. But if you only have HTTPs access you have to be very specific with the FQDN for the exchange server.

/Peter

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 16
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 18.Jan.2004 11:57:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Peter,

Exactly. The SSL connections require that the FQDN are the same as those on the certificates.

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 17
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 26.Jan.2004 7:59:00 AM   
eegon

Hi Everyone. I have port 135 blocked by my ISP. I have NEVER had the computer I'm setting up the Outlook profile, on the internal network. I have tried everything I can think of, and cannot get a connection using ONLY Rpc over HTTP. It does however work great from another external site that DOES have 135 open and able to resolve the internal server name. Anyway, I'm ready to try the ORK solution, but I don't understand how others have gotten this to work, and why Microsoft would design it not to connect if the machine never sees port 135. ANY help is most appreciated. It seems there must be something I'm missing as I am for certain that if 135 goes through, I can connect, using the same settings on another computer just on a different cable modem with a different ISP. I am also FOR CERTAIN that when it connects it is using HTTPS - so I know the servers are correct.

Thanks for any thoughts anyone has on the subject.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 18
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 26.Jan.2004 2:04:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Eegon,

I'm told that if you don't click the "Check Name" button, you will be able to create the profile without RPC connectivity.

Check it out and let me know if it works for you.

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 19
RE: Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTT... - 26.Jan.2004 8:08:00 PM   
eegon

Hello Tom - I can't believe I get a response back from the master himself. [Wink] Well, just leaving "Check Name" alone does not work. Not when 135 is blocked. I am at the building now with the laptop, and it works using RPC over HTTP. However, even here it wants to use some TCP to cache the mailbox and that sort of thing. If I look at my connection status here at the building in Outlook 2003 - it has 4 connections : 2 TCP and 2 HTTPS. I figured now that I've established the Outlook profile, I can go back to my problem network with no port 135, and see if I can get in.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Web Publishing >> Discussion of Configuring Outlook 2003 RPC over HTTP client article Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts