• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Excessive Netbios Name service requests appearing in logs

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Excessive Netbios Name service requests appearing in logs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Excessive Netbios Name service requests appearing in logs - 19.Sep.2006 2:06:44 PM   
t060502

Hi,

We are currently encountering a problem with Netbios Name Service requests appearing in our firewalllog table.   On a daily basis there could be up to 700,000 of these which is filling up the Log DB (SQL server) very quickly. 

Looking at our rule set-up we only have 3 active 'allow' rules with Netbios as a protocol, two of these are system policy rules to allow remote management and to gain access to diagnostic services.   The third rule is a firewall policy rule to allow Netbios traffic to go from our ISA servers to the MMC and vic-versa.  

What concerns us is that when looking through monitoring in ISA we can see that Netbios Name service connections being denied and the result colde is ' 0xc0040014 FWX_E_FWE_SPOOFING_PACKET_DROPPED'.  We think that these requests are being denied in the default rule however it still continues to log the denied requests?  

The default rule has the 'Log requests to match this rule' unchecked so it should not be logging these messages.

Ultimately we want to try and disable logging for these requests.  Has anyone experienced this behaviour before or have an idea on how to disable logging for these?

Thanks
Ken

Post #: 1

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Excessive Netbios Name service requests appearing in logs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts