• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Firewall Client vs Web Proxy Client

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> ISA 2000 SBS >> Firewall Client vs Web Proxy Client Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Firewall Client vs Web Proxy Client - 26.Apr.2006 1:25:35 PM   
willyg78

Hi,

Bit of a strange problem here.

Got 2 Windows XP client machines.  They are trying to connect to a web page with a java applet requiring authentication (appears to be built into the applet).

If I have the firewall client installed on each PC they can authenticate successfully, but if I remove or disable the firewall client, the applet times out after entering the credentials.

The reason I want to get this working without the firewall client is because I am using Nortel Contivity VPN Client on the machines.  This works without the firewall client, but when installed, stops working.

I'm sure you can see my dilemma here.  I can't have the VPN Client and the java applet working properly at the same time.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

William
Post #: 1
RE: Firewall Client vs Web Proxy Client - 28.Apr.2006 7:24:03 PM   
ajw

William,

It sounds like once the firewall client is disabled that the java applet is unable to connect to the remote site because it is not working with the web proxy. I'm going to assume for now that the authentication is actually http-auth which establishes permissions prior to downloading the applet.

The first thing I would check is the network settings of the applet viewer by going through Control Panel -> Java. Here you should see that the proxy is either set to use browser settings (assuming they point to the web proxy) or that the appropriate values have been explicitly stated.

You should also bring up the Java Console and set debugging level to the maximum (should be 5). This will at least give you some indication as to where it is all going wrong. If the proxy is causing a problem you will soon see an exception caused by a failure to complete the HTTP request after you enter the authentication details.

I have, in the past, had to give up on using the web proxy when trying to access an applet because it would not recognise or authenticate to the proxy. In this case I would set the applet host address to bypass the proxy and add a 'Site and Content Rule' to the Access Policy that allows Everyone access to the destination set containing the host address. This was almost an act of desperation but fulfilled the requirement at the time.

I hope this helps you out,

Aaron.

(in reply to willyg78)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> ISA 2000 SBS >> Firewall Client vs Web Proxy Client Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts