• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Flash Player hanging on install

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> Flash Player hanging on install Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Flash Player hanging on install - 19.Mar.2009 12:58:39 PM   
rwatson626

I have a ISA 2006 server with transparent login's. When I try to install flash player it just hangs on the install screen with the little green status bar keeps going. I don't know where to look on the ISA server to fix this. I tried to monitor it and it looks like it closes the connection.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Flash Player hanging on install - 19.Mar.2009 5:35:26 PM   
pwindell

quote:

I have a ISA 2006 server with transparent login's. When I try to install flash

ISA is not a transparent proxy. The term transparent means something specific in this context.  If you mean Windows Intergrated Authentication,..that's fine.

quote:

player it just hangs on the install screen with the little green status bar keeps going. I don't know where to look on the ISA server to fix this. I tried to monitor it and it looks like it closes the connection.  

It probably isn't ISA,...it is probably the browser security.

Add *.adobe.com to the Trusted Zone in the Browser and try again.

The install is often slower than you would expect.  That is the way Adobe products are.  Be patient,...give it time.  Make sure that you are no forgetting to tell it to "install ActiveX Control" by right-clicking on the gold bar at the top of the Window if it shows up.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to rwatson626)
Post #: 2
RE: Flash Player hanging on install - 20.Mar.2009 7:51:45 AM   
rwatson626

Thanks for the reply I will try what you said.

Also sorry about the terminology, we have windows intergrated authentication also we have smartfilter filtering our internet. The Reason I think it was ISA is if I bypass ISA and go straight out through the firewall I don't have a problem installing it.

BUT I will give what you said a try

THANKS

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 3
RE: Flash Player hanging on install - 20.Mar.2009 9:24:52 AM   
pwindell

You might be able to get ISA to block such installations if you put enough effort into trying it,...but it certainly is not something that you are going to have ISA "accidentally" do without knowing you did it. 

I install the Flash Player from behind ISA hundreds of times and I have done absolutely nothing at all in any way ever to go out of my way to "allow" it to work,..."it just works",....with just a normal HTTP Allow Rule.

The next thing to look at would be whatever that "smart filter" thing is,...it seems to be exactly something that a thing like that would block.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to rwatson626)
Post #: 4
RE: Flash Player hanging on install - 20.Mar.2009 9:30:29 AM   
rwatson626

I disabled the smartfilter webfilter add-in and still didn't work. Maybe I have a rule configured wrong. I have it as

Protocols - Http Https and FTP
From Internal
To Anywhere
Condition All Authenticated Users

Thanks

Also I tried setting the Protcol to All outbound traffic

(in reply to rwatson626)
Post #: 5
RE: Flash Player hanging on install - 20.Mar.2009 10:07:10 AM   
pwindell

quote:

Protocols - Http Https and FTP
From Internal
To Anywhere
Condition All Authenticated Users

To: External
I never use "anywhere". 
Be specific in your rules.

Is the FWC installed on the workstation?  If not install it.  Since this is an "authenticated rule" the SecureNAT Service cannot use it so it is therefore limited to only web proxy functionality without the FWC installed.  I don't know for sure if the Adobe ActiveX Installer can communicate properly with Adobe with only the web proxy service.

All of my machines except the DCs and the Exchange Server always get the FWC installed.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to rwatson626)
Post #: 6
RE: Flash Player hanging on install - 20.Mar.2009 11:19:04 AM   
rwatson626

I did not have FWC installed on any of my machines. But I just installed it on the machine I am trying to get flash installed on. Also I made the rule changes so it says external.

When I monitor what is happening I still get client username anonymous on some logs. Here is one of them

Denied Connection
ZKSDSMRT 3/20/2009 11:15:00 AM

Log type: Web Proxy (Forward)

Status: 12209 The ISA Server requires authorization to fulfill the request. Access to the Web Proxy filter is denied.

Rule: HTTP-Out

Source: Internal (10.1.10.48)

Destination: External (172.16.5.8:8080)

Request: GET http://www.adobe.com/lib/com.adobe/template/print.css

Filter information: Req ID: 0cee7b63; Compression: client=No, server=No, compress rate=0% decompress rate=0%

Protocol: http

User: anonymous

Additional information

Client agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30)
Object source: (No source information is available.)
Cache info: 0x0
Processing time: 1 ms
MIME type:

THANKS

(in reply to rwatson626)
Post #: 7
RE: Flash Player hanging on install - 20.Mar.2009 2:27:27 PM   
pwindell

There will always be some anonymous entries.
Everything is first anonymous until it is authenticated.
Normal Browser behavor is:
  1. First attempt anonymous
  2. Attempt denied and request for authentication is made
  3. Browser tries again with credentials this time 
  4. Attempt allowed.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to rwatson626)
Post #: 8
RE: Flash Player hanging on install - 6.Apr.2009 7:40:28 AM   
mdwasim

I am also facing somewhat same problem, if I browse adobe.com to install flash player, yellow bar doesn't comes up.. and i cant find any block in logging section.
ISA 2006, set as web proxy with integrated auth enabled.
Rule: from a group of users to external on http. https

same kind of problem with hotmail. if i go on attachment "Image" (not file) it pops up a window, but nothing comes up. i guess its trying to install activeX.

again same thing with windows update website. am sure its activeX component coz windows update installs it when its ran 1st time.

cant even find any help on search engines. :-(

anyone here solved this kind of problem.

Thanks.

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 9
RE: Flash Player hanging on install - 6.Apr.2009 10:53:22 AM   
pwindell

quote:

again same thing with windows update website. am sure its activeX component coz windows update installs it when its ran 1st time.

Activex Controls only install once,..they are not Java Applets.  Java Applets have to install everytime you go to the site.

Run the Firewall Client on the machines.  Not everything is going to work with only the Web Proxy Service.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to mdwasim)
Post #: 10
RE: Flash Player hanging on install - 6.Apr.2009 2:51:59 PM   
mdwasim

Yes bro, you are right, and am having problem for 1st time installation itself, and thats what i want to figure out, in our organization desktops keep ketting formatted.
Might be this will get solved if IE is updated to 7.0 version.
But what if some clients have v6 ?

THanks.

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 11
RE: Flash Player hanging on install - 6.Apr.2009 5:39:02 PM   
pwindell

Do some digging.
Adobe put out a "removal tool" for the Flash Player to clean out corrupt installations.

I think it is called "uninstall_flash_player.exe"

You can also uninstall any ActiveX control from: "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files".  Righ-click on the "File" and choose Properties to verify what it is (the file names don't always make sense).  If it is to be removed then Rick-click on it again and choose Remove.  but do not do it this way if there is an entry in Add/Remove programs,...do it there first,...then come back to here and do it if the file is left behind.

Whatever other problems you have,...it isn't ISA.  I install all kinds of ActiveX Controls all the time of every sort and I have never had to "go out of my way" to make ISA work with them other than to always have the FWC installed.  In IE, even the normal Security will allow it if you right-click on the GoldBar and tell it to install.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to mdwasim)
Post #: 12
RE: Flash Player hanging on install - 6.Apr.2009 5:42:00 PM   
SteveMoffat

I don't have a Rick to click for me!!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: pwindell
If it is to be removed then Rick-click on it again and choose Remove.  but do not do it this way if there is an entry in Add/Remove programs,...do it there first,...then come back to here and do it if the file is left behind.

Thanks
Steve

ISA 2006 Book! - http://tinyurl.com/2gpoo8
TMG Bible - http://tinyurl.com/ykv85hr
www.isaserver.bm

The built in ISA help is likely the most comprehensive help built into an application anywhere. USE it!!! Search it!!! RTFM

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 13
RE: Flash Player hanging on install - 7.Apr.2009 1:37:06 AM   
mdwasim

Hello,

Is there any user permissions involved in this? I was trying to do all testing with a normal user which is member of "domain users"
today i tried with "domain admin" and windows update activeX was installed.
whereas adobe flash player keep on looping.. and no progress on installation.

there is no previous instance of flash player installed.

(in reply to SteveMoffat)
Post #: 14
RE: Flash Player hanging on install - 8.Apr.2009 4:37:30 AM   
mdwasim

Ok, now activeX golden bar is showing up and on adobe website the flash installation progress bar shows up.. but its in loop.. nothing happens even if kept for an hour.. :-(

(in reply to mdwasim)
Post #: 15
RE: Flash Player hanging on install - 8.Apr.2009 10:18:54 AM   
pwindell

Read my last post.
Get the uninstall tool.

Yes you have a previous installation,...you just don't have a previous "successful" installation.  Eveytime you have tried it is a potential installation since you have no way to immediately know how much of it got installed on each attempt.

You probably do have to be an Administrator to have it install properly.  Doing it with a regular user probably produces a screwed up mess since the Adobe installer probably isn't smart enough to "not try" unless you are an Administrator.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to mdwasim)
Post #: 16

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> Flash Player hanging on install Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts