• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

GPL though ISA

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> GPL though ISA Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GPL though ISA - 2.Nov.2001 1:06:00 PM   
gareth60

Hi all,
I've been using isaserver.org for several months now with great effect. I've now come up against a problem that I need some help with.

A friend of mine need to publish the game Grand Prix Legends (GPL) through my Isaserver. Problem is, i'm not really a gamer and don't know how games work in an internet enviroment. As far as I can tell, I need to publish upd ports 32766-32786 and udp 6970-6971. How would I do this would it be "send receive" or "receive send"?

Also, does anyone know of any tools that can tell you what ports/protocols are in use.

Many thanks

Post #: 1
RE: GPL though ISA - 2.Nov.2001 5:34:00 PM   
JaimeP

Let me understand what you want to do here.. You have a single ISA Server and you want to play this game through it to another system out on the internet. Is that right? If thats the case, you would just make a protocol definition for 6970 and another one for 6971. Try putting the 32766-32786 ports as the secondary connections on each. Then make a rule to allow that protocol through. Its hard to tell which should be primary and which should be secondary though. If this above doesnt work you might try reversing the ports from primary<-->secondary.

To find out what ports are open and in use on your system go to a command prompt and type in netstat -na.

-Jaime

(in reply to gareth60)
Post #: 2
RE: GPL though ISA - 3.Nov.2001 2:20:00 AM   
Jez

Hey,
I also use a program from www.burstek.com called bt-Patrol, its a realtime ISA log viewer (couldnt live without it). Shows all 3 logs, so when you try to connect you can see in realtime which requests are being allowed and blocked etc

------------------
Regards,
Jez
Email: jez@ateallthepies.com
WWW: www.ateallthepies.com

(in reply to gareth60)
Post #: 3
RE: GPL though ISA - 3.Nov.2001 2:37:00 AM   
JaimeP

Wow! Thats way sweet! I was wondering how to do something like that. I'll be checking that proggy out for sure. Thanks!

------------------
-JaimeP
ISA Server Game/Apps Port List

(in reply to gareth60)
Post #: 4
RE: GPL though ISA - 3.Nov.2001 3:01:00 AM   
Jez

My pleasure....maybe you could put it in the 3rd party addons section?

------------------
Regards,
Jez
email: jez@ateallthepies.com
www: www.ateallthepies.com

(in reply to gareth60)
Post #: 5
RE: GPL though ISA - 6.Nov.2001 1:19:00 PM   
gareth60

Thanks, sorry for the delay, but i've a bit under the weather.

I actually want external clients to connect to a server within my Lan that is running GPL. I guess the above ports will apply, what I don't quite get is the difference between send-receive and receive-send options in a udp rule. Can anyone explain.

Thanks again
Gareth.

(in reply to gareth60)
Post #: 6
RE: GPL though ISA - 6.Nov.2001 3:33:00 PM   
Jez

Dont quote me on this, as I cand find a decent explanation anywhere (even toms bible book :-) but I think send recieve means ISA will deny traffic, unless its in response to the initial outbound connection.

Recieve send is the reverse, ISA will deny outbound traffic, unless in response to the initial inbound request.

Im not sure about recieve send though, if I create a rule to prove this, i can still make outbound connections. SP1 for ISA is supposed to solve an issue with UDP ports using recieve send, maybe it will fix this also!

------------------
Regards,
Jez
email: jez@ateallthepies.com
www: www.ateallthepies.com

(in reply to gareth60)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> GPL though ISA Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages