• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Get total Mb of internet use per month

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Get total Mb of internet use per month Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Get total Mb of internet use per month - 10.Aug.2009 9:20:13 PM   
Mekong River

Hi, I want to get the total Mb of internet usage that my organization use per month in order to compare with the data from ISP. I try to look at the report that I generat at the end of the month but I can't find the total Mb.

Does anyone know how could I that in ISA 2004? Thank in advance
Post #: 1
RE: Get total Mb of internet use per month - 12.Aug.2009 10:32:19 AM   
paulo.oliveira

Hi,

if you check on the report Web Usage section - Top websites you can see ISA provides the total bytes.

Regards,
Paulo Oliveira.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer (PFE)
Blog: http://poliveirasilva.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/poliveirasilva

(in reply to Mekong River)
Post #: 2
RE: Get total Mb of internet use per month - 12.Aug.2009 11:01:01 PM   
Mekong River

Dear Paulo,

Thank you very much for your reply. I already check the report as you told me, but i think this information is just part of our web usage. Because there are many section of report in ISA such as application usage, protocol, security...

Now I have any idea, i try to configure the log to display from the beginning to the ending of the month and copy its result to Ms. Excel. In Excel there are two column (total byte send and total byte receive). I don't know whether this idea is correct or not. But the problem is the result is display only 10000 record. I need to do it manualy for a separate period in order to get the complete data as I need.

Please advice me with the above idea. Thank in advance!!!

(in reply to paulo.oliveira)
Post #: 3
RE: Get total Mb of internet use per month - 13.Aug.2009 7:39:25 AM   
paulo.oliveira

Hi,

I have found this statement in the report:
quote:

[color=#000066 size=2]The following users generated the largest amounts of network traffic through ISA Server during the report period. Users that generated the most traffic are listed first. Network addresses are presented when user names are unknown to ISA Server (SecureNAT clients and unauthenticated Web Proxy clients). This report includes both Web and non-Web traffic.

Maybe it is what you´re looking for. Check it on Summary - Top Users.

On logging tab, ISA can only show up to 10000 records.

Regards,
Paulo Oliveira.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer (PFE)
Blog: http://poliveirasilva.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/poliveirasilva

Post #: 4
RE: Get total Mb of internet use per month - 13.Aug.2009 11:34:54 PM   
Mekong River

Dear Paulo,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Best Regard,

(in reply to paulo.oliveira)
Post #: 5
RE: Get total Mb of internet use per month - 20.Oct.2009 11:19:05 AM   
jpdw

Depending on how you setup the ISA to generate the reports will give you the statistic that you require.

But best of luck with this one though

"I want to get the total Mb of internet usage that my organization use per month in order to compare with the data from ISP"

I have been doing it for almost six months of this year and realized that my organisations usage report of total bandwidth is totally different to my ISP's report.

ISA would miss out 4 to 5 gigabytes of data. So ISA out 5 gigabytes of bandwidth that was actually used would tell me that I only used 2 Gigabytes, how much joy there is in that.

I even went to the point to make sure that nothing passes through ISA without Authentication.

Then all of a sudden it dawned, you need a third pary application to get so called more accurate reports.

After spending thousands of rands to get a Nice looking box to share an Internet connection and do reports to see who is abusing our Internet did not work out so well. Let alone the the hundreds of rands to also buy: How to Cheat at Configuring ISA Server 2004.

You now need to fork out thousands more for a thirdparty software. e.g. GFI

Luckily you can trial most third party software.

My Word the installation just to get a third party software to do ISA's job properly was frustrating. Becuase the wonderful, all promosing GFI needs SQL server, many more thousands of rands if you dont have it, unless there is a type of a free release.

Eventually I gave up and moved over to an IPCOP firewall which uses Squid proxy with Squid Analysis Report Generator installed on it which actually gave much more accurate results with user bandwidth reports.

If you get this right with ISA then please take a photo for me and post it.

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Get total Mb of internet use per month Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts