• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Express with ISA Server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Express with ISA Server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Expres... - 8.Jun.2003 12:08:00 PM   
krishnendu

I am having a network with Windows 2000, MS Exchange 2000 and ISA Server.
I am using ISA firewall client in client machine under ISA Server. Though I am able to receive internal mails from our branches connected through lease line & routers, I am not able to download any pop3 mails through outlook express on the client machines. My client machines are using Win XP Proff. / Windows 98

Please help, what should I do to make this work

[ June 08, 2003, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: krishnendu ]
Post #: 1
RE: HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Ex... - 8.Jun.2003 2:48:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi Krishnendu,

do you have a protocol rule in place which allows access to the POP3 protocol? Also, what ISA client types are you using: Firewall and/or SecureNAT for non-Web based protocols?

BTW --- I see you have a routed internal network. What is the default gateway of the network? For more info, check out http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Designing_An_ISA_Server_Solution_on_a_Complex_Network.html .

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to krishnendu)
Post #: 2
RE: HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Ex... - 13.Jun.2003 10:19:00 AM   
sirijusbeta

greetings
had the same problem recently, and actualy i had the protocol rules set properly (i gues [Frown] ) yet i found another way to do the same job

IN OUTLOK (AND EXPRESS) FOR THE POP3 SERVER DONT WRITE THE NAME, RATHER WRITE THE IP OF THE SERVER HOSTING THE POP3 SERVER

this worked with my network [Smile]

greetings

(in reply to krishnendu)
Post #: 3
RE: HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Ex... - 13.Jun.2003 1:41:00 PM   
aselicean

I am having kinda the same problem. I also posted it few days ago on msnews newsgroup, but no answer yet.

The Facts
I need to fetch from an internet-based POP3 mail server some messages for internal corporate use. As client software we intend to use (and tests were made with) Outlook Expres 6. All patches applied. I have ISA Server in integrated mode, protocol rule to allow POP3/POP3S traffic for specific users, clients are FWC. Antivirus on ISA is Network Associates NetShield.

The Problem
Everything goes just fine until a message has attachments. ANY kind of attachment. OE seems to freeze and after a while it says "0x800CCC19 Server Time out" (message truncated).

Now, the error points to my AV. I disabled it but to no avail.

I have to make it work until Monday.

Any directions greatly appreciated.

Regards,

(in reply to krishnendu)
Post #: 4
RE: HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Ex... - 13.Jun.2003 8:44:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi sirijusbeta,

that would indicate you have a DNS name resolving problem! Fix that one and all should work without problems.

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to krishnendu)
Post #: 5
RE: HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Ex... - 13.Jun.2003 8:50:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi Alin,

just for fun, disable the POP intrusion detection filter. You'll find it in the MMC --> Extensions --> Application Filters.

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to krishnendu)
Post #: 6
RE: HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Ex... - 14.Jun.2003 1:25:00 PM   
aselicean

Hi Stefaan

Thanks for your suggestion, but to no avail. I even uninstalled the AV software from ISA box, create an Allow all traffic, any request rule but to no avail.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks again.

Regards,

(in reply to krishnendu)
Post #: 7
RE: HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Ex... - 14.Jun.2003 5:37:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi Alin,

hmm... check out your basic ISA server configuration. Use Jim's excellent article http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Configuring_ISA_Server_Interface_Settings.html as baseline. Also, do you see any warning/error in the event log?

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to krishnendu)
Post #: 8
RE: HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Ex... - 14.Jun.2003 10:02:00 PM   
aselicean

Hi Stefaan

For the moment I am @ home, and I can't paste a sample from the ISA webproxy service log, but there is nothing usefull, I already checked it. The last 4 or 5 fields shows only "-" sign, and for the rest... nothing but spaces.

The weird thing is that it allows POP3 traffic, but only if it has no attachments. When it comes to attachment, it's like ISA's going crazy and it's cutting it off.

Now, I discussed with our web developer and found a way out: we're gonna use FTP and download it using either a batch file or an ftp client.

But I don't like to have a problem unsolved, so it'll remain as an unsolved issue.

I'll go tomorrow to my office and I'll copy&paste a sample from whatever ISA log file you think usefull.

Just let me know what details do you think you gonna need.

Thank you for your time so far.

Regards,

(in reply to krishnendu)
Post #: 9
RE: HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Ex... - 14.Jun.2003 11:00:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi Alin,

web proxy log...? POP3 access is handled by the Firewall service on ISA, *not* the Web Proxy services. So, you should look into the Firewall log. Because the connection succeeds, and only emails with attachments has problems, I don't expect to find much evidence in the firewall log, although you never know. Also, don't forget to check the ISA interface settings and binding order as indicated in Jim's article.

Keep in mind that to get the most information out of the logfiles, I strongly recommend to enable the logging of *all* fields. In the MMC, go to the node Monitoring Configuration, then select Logs. In the details pane, right-click the applicable service and then click Properties. On the Fields tab, click Select All.

Take note that if the POP3 application filter is disabled, ISA server does only see TCP traffic and no content inspection will take place. In other words, ISA server do not see a difference between an email with and without attachments. So, it is not clear to me if it is an ISA problem. Have you already tried another POP3 server or another mail client, or tried with OE outside of ISA server?

If no cause can be found, you should take a Network Monitor trace on the ISA external interface to find out what is really happening on the wire.

BTW --- I hope you have specified in OE as incoming mail server a POP3 server, not a HTTP server.

HTH,
Stefaan

[ June 14, 2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: spouseele ]

(in reply to krishnendu)
Post #: 10
RE: HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Ex... - 14.Jun.2003 11:27:00 PM   
aselicean

Hi Stefaan

Thanks for the clear-ups.

Briefly:

1. My log services are all set to log all fields.
2. I will check these logs again tomorrow. But as I said, we will go for ftp and meanwhile I will try to have this problem sorted out. However, I already checked the logs (all of them, for ANY clues that might pop up), but I will double-check them, who knows ? Maybe I'm in love and missed something of essence in the first place [Smile] Let me know if you want to see some pieces from my log files.
3. I tested it as follows:
* Behind ISA: OE 6, Opera mail client. Both failed on 3 different mail servers
* Outside ISA (from home, using a radio link): OE 6, Opera mail client and Netscape mail client and *worked* smoothly.
4. As additional IDS both @ work and @ home I have BlackIce and XP Pro builtin firewall, using the same configs.
5. Tests from work were made with and without POP intrusion detection filter.

So the only thing remaining is to netmonitor my ISA server. But again, it's weird. If no attachemtns are present, everything's just fine. I have no explanation for this. And I definetely have no time for reinstalling ISA or whatever piece of software.

What bothers me the most is that after working for 2 years with ISA server, reading the books and MS whitepapers, configuring and hardening ISA server, this little issue comes and turns everything upside-down with no logical explanation.

If anyone has any other ideas, are welcome. Meanwhile, I'll netmonitor my ISA Server.

Thanks again folks and I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

(in reply to krishnendu)
Post #: 11
RE: HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Ex... - 17.Jun.2003 10:37:00 PM   
aselicean

Hi Stefaan

Just didn't worked out so a reinstall of my ISA is scheduled for this weekend as I also have a problem with RRAS service on the current one.

So I'll give up on this one, as well as on that with RRAS, if nothing comes to light until Friday.

Thank you for your time so far.

Cheers,

(in reply to krishnendu)
Post #: 12
RE: HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Ex... - 17.Jun.2003 10:59:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi Alin,

were you able to take a Network Monitor trace?

BTW --- if really something is screwed up, then re-installing from scratch is often the fastest way to resolve the problems. [Big Grin]

Thanks,
Stefaan

(in reply to krishnendu)
Post #: 13
RE: HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Ex... - 17.Jun.2003 11:23:00 PM   
aselicean

Hi Stefaan

Nothin' much... Anyway, I'm not that good at reading monitor traces, so I guess reinstalling will solve my issues.

However, my biggest problem was that involving RRAS. This was solved by commuting to FTP. In fact, FTP is far better than POP3 emails as we can schedule it and eliminating the human operator from the scheme.

This one was stepping on my nerves as I wasn't able to understand what was going on...

Thanks again for your efforts.

Cheers,

(in reply to krishnendu)
Post #: 14
RE: HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Ex... - 18.Jun.2003 12:00:00 AM   
spouseele

Hi Alin,

I really hope it will solve your problems. If you like, you can zip the network monitor trace and send it to stefaan.pouseele@cevi.be . I will take a look on it and see what I can find out. I like to understand it too! [Wink]

Thanks,
Stefaan

[ June 18, 2003, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: spouseele ]

(in reply to krishnendu)
Post #: 15
RE: HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Ex... - 18.Jun.2003 12:07:00 AM   
aselicean

Will do that.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

(in reply to krishnendu)
Post #: 16
RE: HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Ex... - 18.Jun.2003 9:52:00 AM   
aselicean

Hi Stefaan

Traces sent. Keep in touch.

Thanks,

(in reply to krishnendu)
Post #: 17
RE: HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Ex... - 18.Jun.2003 10:30:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi Alin,

thanks, will analyze them and report back through email.

Thanks,
Stefaan

(in reply to krishnendu)
Post #: 18

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> HELP - Problem downloading pop3 mails on outlook Express with ISA Server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts