• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

How do I Block WebEX?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> How do I Block WebEX? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do I Block WebEX? - 13.Nov.2002 2:41:00 AM   
PaulCyr

I don't want my users allowing external people taking remote control of their desktops. How do I block this application at our ISA Server?
Post #: 1
RE: How do I Block WebEX? - 13.Nov.2002 10:29:00 PM   
purcelm1

I just ran across this in Windows XP's personal firewall, according to that it uses TCP port 3389, so maybe make a protocol definition for that and then apply a deny filter to it. It's worth a shot.

Hope it helps!
Mike

(in reply to PaulCyr)
Post #: 2
RE: How do I Block WebEX? - 14.Nov.2002 3:34:00 AM   
PaulCyr

The following link describes how the application connects and as you can see this information is directly from the vendors web site.

http://www.webex.com/home/tech_security.html

As one enters a WebEx meeting, the WebEx client communicates with the conferencing server to establish a reliable and secure connection. In the process of establishing the connection, the WebEx client first attempts to connect using TCP (port 1270). If this port is blocked by a firewall, the WebEx client will then tunnel WebEx communications using HTTP (port 80). (If a customer elects to purchase and use SSL the traffic is carried over port 443.) By establishing communication between the thin client and the WebEx servers in this manner, customers' firewalls do not have to be reconfigured to enable online meetings, thus complying with corporate security policies that guard against the opening of firewall ports.

So, I think that port 3389 may be the wrong port to block, but thanks for the suggestion.

(in reply to PaulCyr)
Post #: 3
RE: How do I Block WebEX? - 14.Nov.2002 4:10:00 AM   
Netman

If you can utilize Group Policy on your network you can configure this:

User Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Don't run specified Windows Applications

The client must run an agent of some type - so enabling the above policy and adding the application to the list should do the trick.

Hope this helps.

(in reply to PaulCyr)
Post #: 4
RE: How do I Block WebEX? - 14.Nov.2002 4:18:00 AM   
PaulCyr

Excellent, that will work! I'll try it tomorrow.

Thanks.

(in reply to PaulCyr)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> How do I Block WebEX? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts