• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

ISA/FE/BE question

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> ISA/FE/BE question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ISA/FE/BE question - 21.Feb.2004 8:48:00 AM   
batmon

I am in the process of upgrading our single internal ex2k server w/ a SMTP relay server in DMZ to ISA 2k4/FE/BE Ex2k3 servers. Some questions that I am still not very clear about.

outside domain name: comp.com
internal domain name: internal.comp.com

old settings:
- SMTP in DMZ (relay mails to interna ex2k): mail.comp.com
- internal ex2k (relay outbound back to mail.comp.com): ex2k.internal.comp.com

new settings:
- ISA in DMZ: do I give isa.comp.com? or mail.comp.com???
- FE ex2k3: mail.internal.comp.com?? I can't make it as mail.comp.com because it has to be a member server, right?
- BE ex2k3: ex2k3.internal.comp.com (I guess this doesn't really matter)

1) I want to put ISA 2K4 in our DMZ, and FE/BE ex2k3 servers in our LAN. Does this mean I only need to open port 80/443 between ISA and FE? ISA doesn't need to be the member server right?

2) I can configure my internal FE as mail relay server for both inbound and outbound, right? Can I make it as a OWA and a RPC/Internet server at same time too?

3) Our old SMTP relay server in DMZ is mail.comp.com, so all inbound mails hit this server first. So my FE server should use the same name, "mail"? However, my internal domain is (mail.)internal.comp.com, how do I make it so external mails can get to my FE server with public MX record as mail.comp.com? Do I set it through ISA 2K4? and how?

4) the docs say FE needs to be ex2k3 enterpirse version. I see many people talking about using ex2k3 standard as the FE server. Is it possible? I am using ex2k3 enterprise clusterings for BE.

Thank you.
Post #: 1
RE: ISA/FE/BE question - 22.Feb.2004 8:27:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Batmon,

First, why do you want to put the FE Exchange in the DMZ? It would be better to put it on the same network as the back end. Remember, the FE/BE solution isn't a security solution, its a load balancing solution.

Do you have a diagram of what you want to set up? That would make it easier to see how get things working for you.

Also, if you wish to have remote users seamlessly access the Exchange Server, then a split DNS is mandatory.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to batmon)
Post #: 2
RE: ISA/FE/BE question - 25.Feb.2004 12:39:00 AM   
batmon

Hello,

No, I want to put ISA in DMZ, FE/BE in internal LAN.

So I should have ISA server as the standalone server, not a member server, so it won't content any AD information for security reason and I won't have to open up more ports then 80/443/25 on the FW, right?

(in reply to batmon)
Post #: 3
RE: ISA/FE/BE question - 26.Feb.2004 1:04:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Batmon,

OK, I think I get it. Something like this:

Internet->Router->DMZ->Firewall->FE and BE Exchange

Yes, the ISA firewall can have an interface on the DMZ and provide powerful protection for your FE and BE Exchange Servers.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to batmon)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> ISA/FE/BE question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts