• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Incoming Mail

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> Incoming Mail Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Incoming Mail - 28.Sep.2001 3:11:00 PM   
MPollard

Internet access,Internal mail and outgoing mail work fine but mail will not pass the ISA Server.We have internal DNS forwarded as described in the book and everything checks out as in the book.I can ping out but cannot ping to the external interface.Netstat shows external interface listening on port 25.Any pointers would be gratefully received been at this a week now and still no incoming mail.Help
Post #: 1
RE: Incoming Mail - 28.Sep.2001 6:55:00 PM   
Dominicon

MPollard,

See my response to Alun under the Telnet topic and give me the same info I asked he and Bocchus_tx for and I'll try to help.

(in reply to MPollard)
Post #: 2
RE: Incoming Mail - 28.Sep.2001 10:10:00 PM   
MPollard

Hi thanks for your offer of help we are getting desperate.There is no mail coming in from anywhere.my mailserver ip 212xxxxxx12 myisa internal nic 212xxxxxx18 external nic 212xxxxxx2 default gateway on ext nic 212xxxxxx1.Operating system is w2k int DNS is forwarded to external DNS server.
internal NIC no gateway setup.nslookup resolves the ext nic name or number. The scanner cannot find the computer.It comes up with Access violation at address 004b6c9a in module languard.exe.read of address 00000024
works fine when scanning other ip address.

(in reply to MPollard)
Post #: 3
RE: Incoming Mail - 28.Sep.2001 11:18:00 PM   
Dominicon

From what you have given me I am still not sure how your network is configured.

This is what I have; let me know if this is correct.

Inet -> Gateway (router?) 212.x.x.1 -> 212.x.x.2 ISA 212.x.x.18 -> Internal network

I'm a bit confused as to why you are using a public IP on the internal interface of the ISA (not using NAT for internal clients?).

What IP range do your internal clients use? 212.x.x.? to 212.x.x.?

Where does your mail server (212.x.x.12) sit, behind or in front of the ISA server?

What Mail Server are you using Exchange 5.5, Exchange 2k, Non-MS, etc?

How is your mail server configured for relay and authentication?

I know this is just more questions without any answers, but I need to know how the traffic is traveling and to where so I can help troubleshoot this.

(in reply to MPollard)
Post #: 4
RE: Incoming Mail - 1.Oct.2001 1:09:00 PM   
MPollard

The default gateway Internet router address is 212******1 the external nic on the isa server is 212******2 the internal nic on the ISA server is 212*****18 the LAT is set to run from 212******9 to 212******255. The mail server sits behind the the ISA server running 5.5 and sends and receives mail direct to and from the internet using smtp.We have a full class c address that is why I am using public ip's throught.Range 212*****0 212****255.If you want any more info please shout.By the way Alun and I are from the same place so we can just use the one forum.
Regards Martyn

(in reply to MPollard)
Post #: 5
RE: Incoming Mail - 1.Oct.2001 9:47:00 PM   
Dominicon

Ok, I think I understand your setup now.

Minor thing before I forget...

Ip addresses x.x.x.0 and x.x.x.255 are not "real" IPs. 0 identifies the network, and 255 is a broadcast address. The reason I bring this up is you may want to reduce your LAT to 254, the last usable address.

Internal mail is working, so your Exchange box is doing what it should for users.

Here are the dumb questions again...

How is your smtp authentication/relay set up? My relay security settings stopped incoming mail for a while. I have posted the Ex2k settings that I used on the Server Publishing section, but I'm not sure how to configure it for 5.5.

Did the Ex5.5 server work before? What I am trying to get at is if you moved the Ex5.5 box behind the ISA server, then it stopped working. If this is the case...

Do you have the smtp and pop3 packet filters enabled? (Access Policy\IP Packet Filters)

Have you published the mail server using the server publishing wizard?

Other than those things being messed up, I am not seeing anything in your network configuration that jumps out as wrong.

If all of the above is done and correct, I am stumped.

Let me know if this helps,

Jay

PS:

I re-read Alun's post again, are you trying to telnet from the internal network, or an external account? I have a dial-up machine that is not on my main network that I use through my personal ISP to hammer on my ISA.

I can't telnet through the ISA to my external IP either. Can you telnet into your mail server using the internal IP?

Not that this fixes the inbound mail problem, but it would help us to know if your mail server was published correctly.

[This message has been edited by Dominicon (edited 01 October 2001).]

(in reply to MPollard)
Post #: 6
RE: Incoming Mail - 2.Oct.2001 12:31:00 PM   
MPollard

Hi Jay
I have reduced the LAT to 254.The mail server works fine.by switching of the ISA server and changing the default gateway on the mail server mail flows in no problems as before we bought the firewall.SMTP packet filter is enabled.I published the mail server manually as recommended.

(in reply to MPollard)
Post #: 7
RE: Incoming Mail - 3.Oct.2001 8:53:00 PM   
Dominicon

What do you mean by "switching the isa server"? I'm curious as to what fixed this problem for future reference.

I don't know how much help I was, but I'm glad to hear it is working now.

Jay

(in reply to MPollard)
Post #: 8
RE: Incoming Mail - 4.Oct.2001 11:36:00 AM   
MPollard

Hi Jay,
I should have said by bypassing the ISA server mail works fine.When we route through the ISA Server again we are back to square one no incoming mail.What exatly should happen to the external DNS records.Should the MX and the A record be changed to point to ISA external interface or just the A record or just the MX record Every book we have looked at is slightly different

(in reply to MPollard)
Post #: 9
RE: Incoming Mail - 4.Oct.2001 7:07:00 PM   
Dominicon

The A record, or host record, denotes a single system/service. You can have multiple A records pointing to the same IP (www.domain, pop3.domain, ftp.domain -> x.x.x.1).

The MX record is for mail exchangers. Your external MX record should point to the SMTP server(s) for your domain. This lets external servers know where to route mail.

If you have multiple SMTP servers, the number associated with the MX record assigns the priority. Lower numbers are tried first, if that connect fails, the next higher MX server is tried. (smpt1.domain (10) -> x.x.x.1, smtp2.domain (20) -> x.x.x.2)

If your external DNS was still pointing at the old machine IP, and not the external IP listening on the ISA, then incoming would fail if the old IP is not reachable. However you stated that the external DNS is pointing to your ISA external IP.

If it is working now, check your MX records to verify where the lowest number is pointing, create the secondary MX for the ISA interface, and when the first IP is unreachable, senders *should* fall-over to the secondary.

When you published the server could you telnet to it from an external account? If you donĘt have access to an external account and would like I can hit your external interface and send you the banners returned. DonĘt post the info here, send it to me at armstrong@isdnet.org if desired and IĘll get the hamsters running in the dial up machine and scan you.

If you would like I can publish my mail related ISA rules here for comparison. They pretty much match those defined in the guides here on the site so I don't know how much help they will be, but it couldn't hurt.

Jay

(in reply to MPollard)
Post #: 10
RE: Incoming Mail - 5.Oct.2001 10:53:00 AM   
MPollard

Thanks for everybodies help on the above problem. We now have it sorted, and at the end of the day it was not a problem on our ISA server. but a router setting on the internet.

(in reply to MPollard)
Post #: 11
RE: Incoming Mail - 5.Oct.2001 3:32:00 PM   
Dominicon

Would you mind posting some details?

Never know when this may come up again.

Jay

(in reply to MPollard)
Post #: 12
RE: Incoming Mail - 13.Oct.2001 1:44:00 AM   
Andrew Peters

lso pop answers from outside. Filters checked checked and double checked. Totally miffed as to why our smtp has decided to throw in the towel. Meanwhile yours trully is getting deeper and deeper and close to losing a good customer.

(in reply to MPollard)
Post #: 13
RE: Incoming Mail - 13.Oct.2001 5:50:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Andrew,

Are you having a problem with inbound or outbound SMTP access?

Thanks!

Tom

------------------
http://www.isaserver.org/shinder/

Get It Here!

(in reply to MPollard)
Post #: 14
RE: Incoming Mail - 15.Oct.2001 8:12:00 PM   
nowikn

MPollard, please call or email me ASAP - I am having the same issue . . . my ISP claims that it is our ISA server, yet I have not made any changes on our end.

Nicholas Nowik
Benesystems Technology, INC.
NowikN@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance!

(in reply to MPollard)
Post #: 15
RE: Incoming Mail - 18.Oct.2001 9:10:00 PM   
nowikn

Issue resolved . . . was a setting in Exchange's IMC.

Thanks,

------------------
Nicholas Nowik
Benesystems Technology
NNowik@benesystems.net

(in reply to MPollard)
Post #: 16
RE: Incoming Mail - 18.Oct.2001 11:23:00 PM   
Dominicon

quote:
Originally posted by nowikn:
Issue resolved . . . was a setting in Exchange's IMC.

Thanks,

Could you elaborate for others who may be having the same problem?

Jay

(in reply to MPollard)
Post #: 17
RE: Incoming Mail - 19.Oct.2001 7:43:00 PM   
nowikn

posted 18 October 2001 01:30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jay - per your request, here is my post from the other day in the "Installation Issues" Section of the Message Boards:

Tom & Everyone . . . not so fast on this issue - I had the same problem when I installed my ISA server w/ Exchange 5.5. Here are a few tips (thanks to my buddy Mark on this one):
* Make sure your DNS rules are setup on ISA - VERY IMPORTANT
* Correct - make Exchange 5.5 a SecureNAT client
* In Exchange Administrator, open the IMC (Internet Mail Service/Connector) and click on the Connetions tab. Depending on the number of users you have on your network (in my case I went from 30 to 100 users in 8 months) you need to adjust the number of Inbound / Outbound connections . . . this is done on the Connections tab, Advanced button - I bumped mine up from the default 30 to 100.
* Next remove your Exchange server from the Server Publishing Rule . . . and re-add it only as a SMTP server. By default, ISA adds many unnecessary connections for Exchange (unless you are running Outlook Express for your mail client, you will most likely not need the additional 'connectors' in ISA).

Hope this helps and feel free to email me anytime for clarification or if you would like to compare settings.

------------------

------------------
Nicholas Nowik
Benesystems Technology
NNowik@benesystems.net

(in reply to MPollard)
Post #: 18

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> Incoming Mail Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts