• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Log Analyzer

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Log Analyzer Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Log Analyzer - 18.Mar.2006 8:53:24 PM   
Teesmart

Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend a very good software for analysing and reporting on MSDE logs please?

All the ones I've evaluted thus far can only read w3c format which is no good to me and I am really under a bit of pressure to deliver particular reports to management.

BTW, is it also possible to move existing MSDE files to another SQL server as opposed to an "in place upgrade" of MSDE to SQL which I think I've read somewhere in the forum?

Many thanks,

T.
Post #: 1
RE: Log Analyzer - 18.Mar.2006 8:56:09 PM   
LLigetfa

Microsoft has a utility to export MSDE to text.  Not sure if it does it in w3c format.

The School of Hard Knocks is a mean teacher. She gives the exam before the lesson.

(in reply to Teesmart)
Post #: 2
RE: Log Analyzer - 18.Mar.2006 9:03:37 PM   
Teesmart

I don't think it logs it in w3c format plus it generates just one file at a time.

I wouldn't mind exploring the possibility of using the MSDE to Txt conversion tool assuming one could do a batch conversion.

< Message edited by Teesmart -- 19.Mar.2006 8:07:01 AM >

(in reply to LLigetfa)
Post #: 3
RE: Log Analyzer - 3.Apr.2006 10:08:31 PM   
lcsgeek

Microsoft offers a free utility called Log Parser

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=8cde4028-e247-45be-bab9-ac851fc166a4

however I'm having difficulty getting at the msde data due to locks on them by ISA.  Has anyone been able to use Log Parser against the msde files?  Are there any white papers out there explaining the proceedure?

(in reply to Teesmart)
Post #: 4
RE: Log Analyzer - 5.Apr.2006 6:21:11 PM   
tmorton

quote:

ORIGINAL: lcsgeek

Microsoft offers a free utility called Log Parser

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=8cde4028-e247-45be-bab9-ac851fc166a4

however I'm having difficulty getting at the msde data due to locks on them by ISA.  Has anyone been able to use Log Parser against the msde files?  Are there any white papers out there explaining the proceedure?

Have you tried the MSDE to Text utility to get the information out of the MSDE database. I would imagine that you could also use this to redirect the output to log parser which can then output the data how and where you want.

MSDEToText

HTH
Ty Morton

(in reply to lcsgeek)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Log Analyzer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts