• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Microsft IT Solutions for small and medium networks no RPC

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Server Publishing >> Microsft IT Solutions for small and medium networks no RPC Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Microsft IT Solutions for small and medium networks no RPC - 11.Mar.2010 6:24:07 AM   
SteveWest

I have really been struggling to get users to collect mail from externally as they are sometime on a different network.
I have setup my systems based on the Microsoft Best Practices for small and medium networks to the exact same as the documentation.
I am now trying to publish exchange via secure RPC and the firewall is not even showing an attempt of any connection at all in the logs.
This has been a week pain in my butt.
Has anyone followed this practice and published exchange via secure rpc my mail server FQDN can be resolved from within the local network and from externally so i am now at a lose.
I have also followed Toms documentation on the publishing secure rpc.
All i can say is heck i would love my users to have outlook anywhere if i can get it to work.
Post #: 1
RE: Microsft IT Solutions for small and medium networks... - 11.Mar.2010 9:21:42 AM   
Rotorblade

Can you provide a little more detail on your network topology and ISA NIC configurations? That would be helpful.

RB

David Melvin
Ohio
MCSE: Security 2003, MCSA:Security 2003

(in reply to SteveWest)
Post #: 2
RE: Microsft IT Solutions for small and medium networks... - 12.Mar.2010 12:05:34 AM   
SteveWest

Sorry i thought if someone was familiar with the Microsoft docs they would know the topology.

The isa server is in 2 nic config external resolves to 196.38.223.228
internal is on 10.0.0.1

Behind the firewall is a pdc and bdc the bdc also runs the exhange box, this address is 10.0.0.3. All dns is done internal with all server poointing to 10.0.0.2 primary and 10.0.0.3 secondary dns.
All server are securNAT with ISA as the gateway on address 10.0.0.1.
ISA Itself also points to the internal DNS, Any DNS that isnt resolved by our dns servers is then fowarded to external using dns forwarders in the dns server.
The Outlook clients point to srvexc.traffic.co.za which resolves to the mail server internally on 10.0.0.3 and to srvx.traffic.co.za(196.38.223.228 external nic of ISA) if the client is outside the network. All client are on XP and dont have windows wirewall enabled, servers are 2003.
Just to point out i have tested the secure publish and tried to connect externall with outlook, i dont see any info of this connection being made on the ISA server with loggin enabled, should i be seeing this RPC connection being established.

(in reply to Rotorblade)
Post #: 3
RE: Microsft IT Solutions for small and medium networks... - 12.Mar.2010 3:56:30 AM   
Jason Jones

Many Internet providers block RPC as it is not a common protocol that is used legitimately across the Internet, and it often connected to viruses/worms.

Have you considered using the RPC over HTTP feature of Exchange instead?

If not, have a look through these articles to check you setup:

http://www.isaserver.org/search.asp?s=exchange+rpc

Cheers

JJ

< Message edited by Jason Jones -- 12.Mar.2010 3:57:36 AM >

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk/ and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk/

(in reply to SteveWest)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Server Publishing >> Microsft IT Solutions for small and medium networks no RPC Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts