• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Mixed environment for Proxy Chaining between Proxy 2.0 and ISA 2004

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> Mixed environment for Proxy Chaining between Proxy 2.0 and ISA 2004 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mixed environment for Proxy Chaining between Proxy 2.0 ... - 10.Jun.2005 2:50:00 PM   
TechSupport_1234

Hello,

We are a government agency that has a corporate headquarter and 195 branch offices. We currently use Windows NT 4.0 and Microsoft Proxy 2.0. We have MS-Proxy 2.0 installed in both our corporate headquarter servers (2 in an array) and also in our branch office servers. We have one server for each branch office. We use "web Proxy" chaining between our branch offices and our corporate headquarter to optimize bandwidth through two levels of caching. We have only one Internet access that is located in our corporate headquarter and that deserves all our organization. We are currently planning a migration to Windows Server 2003 SP1 and ISA Server 2004. We plan to use ISA Server 2004 Enterprise at our coporate headquarter in an array of two servers. We plan to use ISA Server 2004 Standard SP1 for our branch office servers for Internet access and caching.

We are looking at a couple of scenarios on "what to do first ?". We cannot upgrade our Proxy servers at headquarters and branch office proxy servers all at the same time. We plan to migrate 10 branch office servers per week. It will take approximately 20 weeks to complete this migration. During this migration period, we will have a mixed environment with MS-Proxy 2.0 and ISA 2004 linked in Web Proxy Chaining. We want to maintain the same functionnalities during the migration period for all our users.

In short, we should have:

1. Web proxy chaining between MS-Proxy 2.0 (branch office) and ISA 2004 Enterprise (corporate headquarter)

Or

2. Web proxy chaining between ISA 2004 Standard SP1 (branch office) and MS-Proxy 2.0 (corporate headquarter)

After thinking and a short study, we would prefer scenario #1, migrate to ISA 2004 Enterprise on the corporate headquarter first to ISA 2004 Enterprise and after go to migrate progressively branch office servers to ISA 2004 Std SP1.

Does anyone has an advice on which approach is best and on strenghts/weaknesses of each one if applicable ? Or if both methods are functionnaly equivalent and reliable. Has anyone worked in a similar migration project and had success with scenario #1 or #2 ?

Thank you and best regards.
Post #: 1
RE: Mixed environment for Proxy Chaining between Proxy ... - 15.Jun.2005 11:42:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Tech,

The advantage to putting ISA 2004 EE in the main office is performance is much better.

You might want to consider putting ISA EE in the branch offices so that you can manage fireall policy from the main office for all the branch offices with a few clicks of the mouse in the ISA firewall console. Centralized policy management and distribution is one of the big plusses of ISA EE.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to TechSupport_1234)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> Mixed environment for Proxy Chaining between Proxy 2.0 and ISA 2004 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts