• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Must I use the SMTP Message Screener for ALL SMTP servers

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Server Publishing >> Must I use the SMTP Message Screener for ALL SMTP servers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Must I use the SMTP Message Screener for ALL SMTP servers - 8.Mar.2006 12:23:03 AM   
Sterling

I am using the SMTP Message Screener on the ISA 2004 server and everything is working good.

But I get the following error when trying to send from my Exchange email to my Linux box.
My Linux SMTP server is not using the Message Screener at the moment and is just published as an SMTP rule from the external IP to the internal server IP.

Sounds like it's bouncing mail around in the ISA server.
Do I have to use the SMTP Message Screener for EVERY SMTP server behind the firewall now?

A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your administrator.

Post #: 1
RE: Must I use the SMTP Message Screener for ALL SMTP s... - 8.Mar.2006 5:59:32 PM   
tshinder

Hi Sterling,

Where is the SMTP message screener installed?

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to Sterling)
Post #: 2
RE: Must I use the SMTP Message Screener for ALL SMTP s... - 8.Mar.2006 6:22:05 PM   
Sterling

The Message Screener is installed on the ISA 2004 server itself. We have a single Exchange server behind it that is set up to use the Message Screener running on the ISA Server as it's outbound SMTP connector.

It appears that I can send email from the Linux server/account to an Exchange account just fine, but not the other way around.

Thanks for your input.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: Must I use the SMTP Message Screener for ALL SMTP s... - 8.Mar.2006 10:35:33 PM   
Sterling

Also looking at the Event log under the SMTP Message Screener error for this situation it says the following:

Message delivery to the remote domain 'server.com' failed for the following reason: Unable to deliver the message because the destination address was misconfigured as a mail loop.

With server.com being my linux server (real name changed).

(in reply to Sterling)
Post #: 4
RE: Must I use the SMTP Message Screener for ALL SMTP s... - 23.Jun.2006 5:07:28 AM   
Sterling

Okay, finally figured this one out.

I needed to put the domain for the email server covering the linux server in the screener as well and give it the internal IP of the linux server.

I am assuming that allowed the screener to forward the mail from the exchange server to the linux server from the ISA box.

(in reply to Sterling)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Server Publishing >> Must I use the SMTP Message Screener for ALL SMTP servers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts