At first, excuse my English, it's a Swiss interpretation of this language
I took this Tutorial to configure my installation, Exchange 2003 behind the new ISA 2006. I adapted that to my one Exchange Server Scenario without the Farm Configuration. OWA works, but I try now about 8 hours to figure out the problem with rpc over https. I can't connect with my Outlook Client. I tried everything 399 times, no chance. The resources about ISA 2006 are very sparely, about 3 articles to that.
So, when I try to test the rpc Configuration with https://localhost/rpc, the login box comes up 3 Times, what is requested and described in the Technet KB (Windows 2003 SP1). Also the direct Test with /rpc/rpcproxy.dll works fine. When I ty to connect from outside, nothing works. When I try to connect over https://webmail.domain.ch/rpc, ISA Server comes up with the Login Screen. After Login, ISA goes back to the Login Screen.
When I try to connect with Outlook from Outside and the /rpcdiag switch, nothing happens. After 30-60 seconds the Login breaks up with an error, Exchange must be online....
I recreated the virtual Folders in Exchange, checked about 100 times the security settings, everything is ok!
So, now I'm searching for an answer and I don't know who can help me....
If you have an Idea... I'm very receptive to any tip!!!
Make sure you've got everythin 100%. If anything is type in wrong it won't work. like msstb or msstp and it must be msstd in the client configuration. Also make sure everything is set to basic authentication and you are using HTTPS.
Not really i saw you tried to connect to it internal but did you try connecting to it through outlook internally. Make sure you have split dns and check if the outlook client works intrenally. Also i've found a reboot of the server also sometimes works.
The client connects trough tcp/ip! Split DNS is set up, I connect always to the "external" name. I can't find something wrong in the rpc configuration... the rights are set to basic authentication, I reinstalled the rpc service two times!
ExchangeServer is the NetBIOS name of your Exchange server.
ExchangeServerFQDN is the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of your Exchange server. If the FQDN that is used to access the server from the Internet differs from the internal FQDN, you must use the internal FQDN.
If anything is typed in wrong anywhere it won't work
It works now. I made several changes last night, including your one. I changed the ports, I reinstalled SP2, I recreated the Web Folders in IIS, I reseted the Rights in IIS and finally I think I had a bug in the ISA Rule (I tried several things and several configurations). So, I don't know which settings was the wrong one, or perhaps it was a combination of 2 or 3 settings...