• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

PPTP VPN - assigning client fixed IP

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> VPN >> PPTP VPN - assigning client fixed IP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PPTP VPN - assigning client fixed IP - 8.Sep.2003 2:00:00 AM   
hughman666

Hi,

I have ISA set up as a PPTP VPN server. I want to assign one client a fixed IP address every time they connect.

RRAS is set to assign addresses via DHCP. Clients are fine to connect using DHCP on the VPN connection properties, however I am unable to assign one client a fixed IP address.

When I configure the client's PPTP connection settings with a fixed IP address (either inside or outside the DHCP range), the error is "error 735: the requested address was rejected by the server"

Any ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: PPTP VPN - assigning client fixed IP - 8.Sep.2003 4:15:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Hughman,

I don't believe that is possible except for gateway links.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to hughman666)
Post #: 2
RE: PPTP VPN - assigning client fixed IP - 8.Sep.2003 5:29:00 PM   
AbqBill

Hi hughman,

I was just wondering why you wanted to do this. Is it because you need to create static routes on the client machine so he can connect to subnets other than the one the PPTP server sits in?

Thanks,

Bill

(in reply to hughman666)
Post #: 3
RE: PPTP VPN - assigning client fixed IP - 8.Sep.2003 11:22:00 PM   
hughman666

Hi, the reason I am wanting to do this is because the client is a W2k Pro machine that is "permanently" connected to my server (a persistent pptp client, re-connects every time the vpn is dropped). My ISDN link drops every 24 hours for 10 secs. Each time the the client re-connects, it has a different IP on the network, so the IP changes every day.
I know this isn't an ideal set-up however due to budget factors, it is the closest I can get.

(in reply to hughman666)
Post #: 4
RE: PPTP VPN - assigning client fixed IP - 9.Sep.2003 3:50:00 PM   
AbqBill

Hi Hughman,

Help me understand your scenario: Why it is a problem that the client's IP address changes?

Thanks,

Bill

(in reply to hughman666)
Post #: 5
RE: PPTP VPN - assigning client fixed IP - 10.Sep.2003 12:53:00 PM   
hughman666

Hi Bill, sorry for the delay in replying.
The issue is that I need the client to act as if it were physically in my LAN. Fixed IP addressing is required on our network for a particular ERP system we use (silly, i know) where machines are authenticated via their IP address which determines access levels, as they talk to an AS/400. Again, not ideal but if you could point a way around this I would be grateful.

Thanks.

(in reply to hughman666)
Post #: 6
RE: PPTP VPN - assigning client fixed IP - 10.Sep.2003 3:41:00 PM   
AbqBill

Hi Hughman,

Perhaps the ERP application could allow this client's correct access over the range of IP addresses that he might get assigned when making a VPN connection? Or do other clients remote in as well, that need different access?

HTH,

Bill

(in reply to hughman666)
Post #: 7
RE: PPTP VPN - assigning client fixed IP - 10.Sep.2003 4:35:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Hugh,

You can configure the VPN client's IP address to use on the client, and then configure remote access policy/profile to allow the client to set its own IP address.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to hughman666)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> VPN >> PPTP VPN - assigning client fixed IP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts