• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

PPTP VPN and TCP/IP CP reported error 736

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> VPN >> PPTP VPN and TCP/IP CP reported error 736 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PPTP VPN and TCP/IP CP reported error 736 - 3.Mar.2005 2:08:00 AM   
Conetecs

I rebuilt my ISA 2004 on my W2K3 server and now cannot connect via VPN in any way. I have rebuilt it several times now meticulously following the install process from the ISAServer site and the Microsoft documentation.
My VPN client is a W2K3 server with a public IP address and Microsoft ICF turned on on the external interface.
From what I can make out, the client does not get an IP address from the ISA 2004 server. I have tried both DHCP assigned and also fixed assignment. The System Event logs on the IA server show the remote user authenticating but diconnecting with an Error 20050 because "...disconnected because no network protocols were successfully negotiated."
The client has the Error 736.
Authentication is by Radius and that works.

Where can I be going wrong?

Any suggestions gratefully welcomed.
Post #: 1
RE: PPTP VPN and TCP/IP CP reported error 736 - 4.Mar.2005 2:11:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Con,

Check the Event Viewer, I suspect an important clue can be found there.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to Conetecs)
Post #: 2
RE: PPTP VPN and TCP/IP CP reported error 736 - 7.Mar.2005 2:16:00 AM   
Conetecs

Thanks for the reply but any description on an error 20050 is very sparse. I think this is a routing issue as I have set the ISA server up to authenticate via Radius - which it does successfully and logs show it so.
This firewall is a second link and not the main firewall. We only want to use it as a VPN firewall. Assigning IP addresses via DHCP doesn't happen. I'm not sure if routing is the issue. The main link firewall has a gateway of 10.128.0.2 whereas the VPN firewall has a gateway of 10.128.0.25. I'm not sure if I need to put any additional information into routing table to ensure it gets a reply. The Error logs on the both the ISA server and the client seem to indicate to no network protocols were assigned so I am assuming the issue lies on the ISA server, not the client. I have no luck when I try to assign static IP addresses either. I am using a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 so I can access other subnets on the LAN. Perhaps I should be using 255.255.0.0 or other.

(in reply to Conetecs)
Post #: 3
RE: PPTP VPN and TCP/IP CP reported error 736 - 9.Mar.2005 1:59:00 AM   
Conetecs

I finally nutted it out.
The issue is an installation one. I did many a clean installs but having previously used ISA 2000 I must have touched RRAS first before configuring VPN. The answer is "keep away from RRAS". Install ISA2004 and configure it, then configure VPN via ISA. Make no changes via the RRAS console and it all works just like the book says. One other issue we were having as well was that the rules would not compile without an error. This problem too is rectified.

(in reply to Conetecs)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> VPN >> PPTP VPN and TCP/IP CP reported error 736 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts