• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Pass external IP to IIS

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> Pass external IP to IIS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pass external IP to IIS - 15.Mar.2007 4:35:05 PM   
islavov

Hi ALL,

I have a SBS 2003 Premium Edition.
So my main server has IIS, ISA, SQL, 2 network cards - one internal 10.0.0.1/255 and one external with 5 external IP addresses.

I have the following issue with ISA 2000:

For some of the web sites that i host i need to have the original client IP and i am getting the internal IP of the ISA server. I have been reading about this for a while and i found out that as long as i use Web Publishing rules the external IP is not going to come through, but i also found out that if i use a Server publishing rule to publish my web sites, i should get the external IP address of the client coming all the way to IIS...

Well,  i did exactly the above:
No WebPublishing rules, one server publishing rule for certain external IP (on port 80) to an internal IP 10.0.0.1 - in this case the web sites all work (i have more than 1 web site, and using host headers is doing the trick for me) BUT i still get internal IP in the IIS logs - i get 127.0.0.1 - IIS does run on the same server where ISA...

Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance!

Ivan A Slavov
Post #: 1
RE: Pass external IP to IIS - 22.Mar.2007 8:19:12 AM   
LordZoltan

I'm having exactly the same issue.  We have a site for which we want to use the SQL Server 2005 IIS reporting pack in order to monitor traffic.

This has been deployed and configured - with reports being generated etc - but the traffic figures are completely wrong, of course, because the client IPs are always reported as the internal IPs of the ISA box(es).

I've setup a server publishing rule instead of a web publishing rule, and it makes no difference.  Of course, I'm sure the ISA logs are now recording the client IP okay, but we still need to get them to the IIS server somehow!

My suspicion is that ISA 2000 is not capable of being configured to forward the originating IP for either web or server publishes.

Can anybody confirm this?

(in reply to islavov)
Post #: 2
RE: Pass external IP to IIS - 22.Mar.2007 9:32:17 AM   
islavov

I am almost certain that i read this thing for web publishing rules and server publishing rules.

When i was using the web publishing rule, i was getting 10.0.0.1 in my IIS logs - this is the first (of several) IP addresses on the internal interface on the ISA server.

When i used server publishing rule, i started getting 127.0.0.1.... Obviously it is doing something different, but at the end still no good...

If ISA 2000 does not do this, i may have to re-think and change the infrastructure of my small business - meaning getting away of ISA 2000 and using something else - i hate to put it this way (sorry MS)...

I know there is ISA 2004, ISA 2006 and this is doable, but they cost a fortune...

I am having problems with my mail software since it may allow relaying since ALL requests are coming from internal IP, instead of external.

Please anyone, give us your feedback....

Thanks a lot!

(in reply to islavov)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> Pass external IP to IIS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts