• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Ping treu isa server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Ping treu isa server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ping treu isa server - 3.Jul.2002 8:58:00 AM   
freeman9

i cannot do a ping (like www.isaserver.org) from a workstation to the internet.

i cannot find anything about this.

can someone explane how to fix this.

If you need info just ask.
Post #: 1
RE: Ping treu isa server - 3.Jul.2002 9:33:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi freeman9,

check out http://www.isaserver.org/pages/articles.asp?art=45

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to freeman9)
Post #: 2
RE: Ping treu isa server - 4.Jul.2002 1:24:00 AM   
I can ping but get a request time out, this is because I am a firewall client right, so what do I need to do to ping outside domains? Unistall firewall client? thats it?

(in reply to freeman9)
  Post #: 3
RE: Ping treu isa server - 4.Jul.2002 1:42:00 AM   
Never mind for some reason I can ping now?!?

Ever since I installed ISA, for about 6 months I have never been able to ping out from FW clients, only the SERVER, but now all of a sudden?!??! I need some kind of explanation please.

Thanks.

Oh yeah I am a registered user I just for got my password, and I think my name was mispelled. LOL [Frown]

(in reply to freeman9)
  Post #: 4
RE: Ping treu isa server - 4.Jul.2002 5:31:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi NT,

If your computer is configured as *only* a Firewall client, you will never be able to ping an external network client. The reason for this is that the Firewall client can only use TCP and UDP to communicate with external network hosts.

However, if you configure the client as *both* a SecureNAT and Firewall client, the SecureNAT client configuration will be able to pick up the ICMP request and forward it to the ISA Server, who in turn, forwards the request to the external network client.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to freeman9)
Post #: 5
RE: Ping treu isa server - 9.Jul.2002 12:30:00 AM   
How do you configure a machine for both? I did not change anything before I started pinging out, now a week later I am not able to ping out anymore again!?

Thanks.

NTHIDALGO [Confused]

(in reply to freeman9)
  Post #: 6
RE: Ping treu isa server - 9.Jul.2002 3:14:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi NTHIDALGO,

You need to install the Firewall client software to make a machine a Firewall client. You need to change the default gateway to an address that will route Internet bound requests to the internal interface of the ISA Server to make the machine a SecureNAT client.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to freeman9)
Post #: 7
RE: Ping treu isa server - 29.Dec.2003 7:51:00 PM   
GLRB

Tom,
I have this same problem still - none of my client pcs can ping an address outside my internal network. My machines all have the firewall client software installed, they are pointing to the correct interface for a gateway. What I can't find is how to set up one of these machines to be a securenat client you have mentioned. Please explain how to make this change?

quote:
Originally posted by tshinder:
You need to install the Firewall client software to make a machine a Firewall client. You need to change the default gateway to an address that will route Internet bound requests to the internal interface of the ISA Server to make the machine a SecureNAT client.
Tom

(in reply to freeman9)
Post #: 8
RE: Ping treu isa server - 29.Dec.2003 8:08:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi GLRB,

check out the ISA clients articles over at http://www.isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/ .

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to freeman9)
Post #: 9
RE: Ping treu isa server - 30.Dec.2003 2:15:00 PM   
ppeetoom

Dear GLRB,

first of all, Tom HAS given you the answer on how to make a client a SecureNAT client (set the gateway). Furthermore, for a ping to work with a SecureNAT cllient, you will need to create a protocol rule which permits outbound ping-requests for the those clients (protocol def. allready exists in ISA).

With kind regards,

Groofster.

(in reply to freeman9)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Ping treu isa server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts