• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Port requirements for Everquest?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> Port requirements for Everquest? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Port requirements for Everquest? - 4.Nov.2001 12:42:00 AM   
Keskan

I wanted to know if anyone had a working protocol definition (or group of them) for Everquest?
Post #: 1
RE: Port requirements for Everquest? - 4.Nov.2001 4:15:00 AM   
JaimeP

You might wanna take a look at the url in my signature. It has a section on how to get EverQuest running with ISA Server. Let me know if it works for you as I have not tested it.

------------------
-JaimeP
ISA Server Game/Apps Port List

(in reply to Keskan)
Post #: 2
RE: Port requirements for Everquest? - 6.Nov.2001 2:59:00 AM   
rosco

I am told that the ISA packet filters only control access to/from the ISA Server and not to/from the client. If that is true, then by what means can I tighten down inbound access from specific destinations to the client? Maybe ISA just can't do this, and if that is the case, I think I'll stick with my router acl's. I'm much more concerned with who is accessing what rather than what they are accessing. The "what" is dynamic. That is, it is rather trivial for someone to change the port(s) a particular application runs on. That is why port filters alone are not enough. To open every port above 1024 for anything, let alone a game, is insane!

(in reply to Keskan)
Post #: 3
RE: Port requirements for Everquest? - 6.Nov.2001 3:51:00 PM   
Jez

I take it your concern is with the secondary connection of the 3rd protocoL definition (ports 1025-65535). I believe you dont have to worry, as its a send recieve connection. I.e, the ISA will not accept just any inbound connection, it will only take inbound traffic as a result of the initial oubound connection.

Also, if (not in this case, as the connections are all outbound) you are creating inbound protocol rules, you can deny access by client set. You would have to put the everquest or whoevers addresses into a client set.

At least I think that works, i believe you can have external addresses in a client set, and then filter them...correct me if im wrong though.

------------------
Regards,
Jez
email: jez@ateallthepies.com
www: www.ateallthepies.com

(in reply to Keskan)
Post #: 4
RE: Port requirements for Everquest? - 6.Nov.2001 8:59:00 PM   
rosco

yes, that was my only concern and I was hopeful that this could be done. Thanks for the tip, I'll let you all know how it goes.

(in reply to Keskan)
Post #: 5
RE: Port requirements for Everquest? - 7.Nov.2001 12:17:00 AM   
JaimeP

Its too bad that they use this many ports. I looked on their web site to see if the port range could be tightened up a bit and I was shocked to see that you really do need all those ports open. Here is the clip from the EQ site regarding firewalls and EQ (notice the section at the bottom in bold):

Patch Application:
A TCP connection is initiated from the player's PC (using an arbitrary port>=1024) to patch.everquest.com, port 7000. There are multiple IP addresses for the patch.everquest.com clusters, and they may change as the network demands, so check often using a DNS lookup tool if you provide a specific firewall rule for patching.

EverQuest client:
UDP datagrams are sent to/from the player's PC (using an arbitrary port>=1024) from/to one of the EverQuest servers (using an arbitrary port>=1024).

The EverQuest server IP addresses are on the subnets:
64.37.148.* , 64.37.149.* , 64.37.150.* , 64.37.151.* , 63.241.40.*, 63.241.41.*, 63.241.42.*, and 63.241.43.*
These network blocks may be summarized as 64.37.148.0/22 and 63.241.40.0/22.

Please note that EverQuest opens a random UDP data port from the player's PC every time EverQuest is run. Thus, the need to have all ports >= 1024 available.

------------------
-JaimeP
ISA Server Game/Apps Port List

(in reply to Keskan)
Post #: 6
RE: Port requirements for Everquest? - 9.Nov.2001 6:30:00 AM   
TimTrace

I have EQ configured as per Jaime's document (thanks for the hard work, Jaime!) but no dice.

I get the patch updates OK, but when I get to the Login screen, I see "Establishing connection with a login server" for about thirty seconds, then an Error 1001 pops up.

Any ideas?

(in reply to Keskan)
Post #: 7
RE: Port requirements for Everquest? - 11.Nov.2001 5:52:00 AM   
FurtherAway

From what I can tell, it looks like they changed their login process. The old port is no longer used.

Below are my protocol definitions. They are working well for me. Since secondary connections are utilized, the FW Client is required to play.

1. Patch Server:
Primary Connection: 7000 (TCP) Outbound
- no secondary connection

2. Logon Server:
Primary Connection: 15900 (UDP) Send Receive
Secondary Connection: 5998 (UDP) Send Receive
Primary Connection: 15901 (UDP) Send Receive
Primary Connection: 15902 (UDP) Send Receive
Primary Connection: 15903 (UDP) Send Receive

3. World Servers:
Primary Connection: 9000 (UDP) Send Receive
Secondary Connection: 1025-5000 (UDP) Send Receive

1. The patch server is just a simple TCP connection.

2. The logon server looks for up to 4 UDP ports when making this connection - 15900-15903. It 'seemed' like I could get away with only having a single rule for 15900, but the delay was annoying me when it would send packets to the other ports as well The secondary UDP connection is for the chat server.

3. The World servers, accorinding to Verant, can use any port greater than 1024 (as previously posted). I set my protocol rule to just allow 1025-5000 (UDP), and haven't had any troubles. I haven't found personally when the game tries to dynamically open a UDP socket > 5000. If you do find it does, please report back... we may need to open this range wider (unless you went ahead and opened it through 65k).

FurtherAway

"Confident, cocky, lazy, dead." - Tad Williams

(in reply to Keskan)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> Port requirements for Everquest? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts