• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Problem connecting to internal Remote Desktop via external Netmeeting client

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> H.323 Gatekeeper >> Problem connecting to internal Remote Desktop via external Netmeeting client Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problem connecting to internal Remote Desktop via exter... - 24.Apr.2003 2:48:00 AM   
auntydan

With the help of Tom's excellent book I have setup the H.323 Gatekeeper on my simple ISA Server setup (Single ISA Server, dual-home W2K with 1 internal and 1 external NIC) I can call internal LAN clients with external PCs connected directly to the Internet using the phone number set in the internal client Netmeeting profile and with the internal client connecting to the ISA Server as it's gateway. The external client is set to use the external IP of the ISA Server as the Gateway.

However when I tried to set an internal client to "Activate Remote Desktop Sharing" and called the internal client from the same external PC the call fails. The external client gets told the call was refused. The MS documentation says Remote Desktop Sharing requires the call to be made with an IP address, it does not mention using a phone number. The H.323 Gatekeeper is set to allow incoming and outgoing calls.

What do I need to change to connect to the remote desktop client? Can this be done using the phone number or does it require an IP address the external client can access?

Thanks,
Daniel S.
Post #: 1
RE: Problem connecting to internal Remote Desktop via e... - 24.Apr.2003 8:19:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi Daniel,

here is an excerpt from my article http://www.isaserver.org/articles/Using_NetMeeting_and_the_H323_Gatekeeper_as_a_HelpDesk_tool.html
quote:
You wonder probably why we use for the last scenario the T.120 calling method. There is a good reason for that. To place a H.323 call to another internal host, this host must be registered with the H.323 Gatekeeper. Now, when NetMeeting runs in Remote Desktop Sharing mode, it can't register with the H.323 Gatekeeper. Although it is possible to make a static registration for this hosts in the H.323 Gatekeeper, this is not a good idea from a security point of view. If you do that, it will work but this means also that any external user can make a H.323 call to this internal host without any intervention from an internal user. It must be obvious that this is far from being recommended.
So, it can be done but...

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to auntydan)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> H.323 Gatekeeper >> Problem connecting to internal Remote Desktop via external Netmeeting client Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts