• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Purging ISA Server Logs.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Purging ISA Server Logs. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Purging ISA Server Logs. - 30.Nov.2010 7:04:41 AM   
rajk1606

Hi All,
We have ISA server 2006 with SP1 installed on a Windows Server 2003 Server. From the time it is installed, logs are continuous increasing and now it has reached to 52 GB. There are many mdf and ldf files of different dates which shows the updated current timestamps for all the files. This way i think, it is affecting the performance of the server also. I would like to know the process to purge these logs and process to improve the server performance also. Another issue is that, server gets automatically restarted may be about every 5-6 days, with reason "The previous system shutdown at 8:32:55 AM on 11/26/2010 was unexpected Event ID 6008". This happens randomly.
sqlservr.exe is almost utilizing about 1699K

Please help with above two issues.

Thanks
Rajkumar
Post #: 1
RE: Purging ISA Server Logs. - 30.Nov.2010 7:31:40 AM   
Jason Jones

You can define log limits in terms of log time and log size, these will allow items to be purged in "circular logging" style. These are configured for each logging service (web proxy and firewall) independently.

Moving to text logging will save a lot of space and greatly improve performance, but you will lose historic logging in the ISA console. Using a dedicated RAID disk set for logging will also improve performance. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb794835.aspx

You may also want to limit SQL memory use: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909636

Cheers

JJ

< Message edited by Jason Jones -- 30.Nov.2010 7:33:12 AM >

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk/ and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk/

(in reply to rajk1606)
Post #: 2
RE: Purging ISA Server Logs. - 4.Dec.2010 1:45:07 AM   
rajk1606

Hey Thanks JJ for your sugegstions here...

Can i run these commands to limit the Memory utilization by MSDE? I mean is there any precaution to be taken before and after running the command, since there is nothing mentioned on the page. Whether this can be done while its in use for production work and need of restart etc.

Also about the mdf & ldf files...whether i can remove the older files of these extn's? i m quite worried as all the 4-5 months files are lying in log directory and utilized about 52 GB of spaces. And time stamp of these all files are updated of today's date, so whether all the files are correlated with each other. Whether removal of older files may create any issues?

Please help...

(in reply to Jason Jones)
Post #: 3
RE: Purging ISA Server Logs. - 4.Dec.2010 3:37:47 AM   
rajk1606

Hi JJ,

IN fact when i was monitoring the Performance of server, noticed that Avg Disk Queue length is touching 100 almost 80% of time continuous.

Today server got restarted automatically, after that i was trying to limit the MSDE memory utilization, but then i got error "Msg 8114, Level 16, State 1, Server ISASRV\MSFW, Procedure sp_configure, Line 0
Error converting data type nvarchar to int.". I hope it won't impact ISA server.

After that i thaught to move some of the mdf and ldf files to some other location as the log directory is full by 80% [Got an event msg saying this "The total Firewall log size has reached 80 percent of the total log file size limit."].
When tried moving even an older date file, it didn't allowed me to move saying, it is being used by some application. and all the previous mdf and ldf files are updating with current time stamp.

I am not getting wat to do in this situation: Whether to move the files with stopping firewall services and then start them again. Also not sure whether moving these files will create any new problem.

Can you suggest something over this..

(in reply to rajk1606)
Post #: 4
RE: Purging ISA Server Logs. - 17.Jan.2011 3:37:45 PM   
Dawid

Hi Rajkumar,

just use the script on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc302448.aspx for secure detaching ISA log databases. Maybe you'll want to change line 79 in the script to adjust it to your needs. And then you can move all detached DB files (mdf, ldf) whereever you want for further analysis or just to archive them without stopping services or restarting the server.

(in reply to rajk1606)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Purging ISA Server Logs. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts