• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RPC over HTTPS

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Publishing] >> Exchange Publishing >> RPC over HTTPS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RPC over HTTPS - 27.Aug.2006 7:12:07 AM   
kjacobsen

I have an ISA Server 2006 RC array (we are still working on licencing for the array, thus have not moved to RTM), consisting of two servers. Behing the array I have a single Exchange server deployed.

I followed your various posts on publishing Exchange server, and it appears OWA works, as well as mobile (we still need to test it), however RPC over HTTPS is gibing us "Error code 64" when ever we test the rpcproxy.dll in a browser.

It was going pre-rc, was there changes to the way publishing worked that could have broekn this functionality?
Post #: 1
RE: RPC over HTTPS - 28.Aug.2006 4:09:54 PM   
tshinder

Hi K,

It should still work in the RTM version. Are you delegating basic credentails? Is the ISA firewall a domain member? The 2006 ISA firewall should be falling back to basic auth when you have FBA enabled on the listener.

Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to kjacobsen)
Post #: 2
RE: RPC over HTTPS - 1.Sep.2006 9:16:52 AM   
alto59

Edit: I found the tutorials, but I still can't get it to work.

I've created a single Exchange Web Client Access publishing rule for both OWA and Outlook RPC/HTTPs.  I have a single ISA server acting as an edge firewall with the Exchange server on the internal network.  I'm using SSL to the published server from ISA, the web listener uses FBA on port 443, for authentication delegation I've selected basic.

OWA is working fine, but Outlook RPC/HTTPs is not.

I've got external Outlook 2003 client configured as per the tutorial - URL to proxy server for Exchange: https://mail.domain.com, principal name for proxy server: msstd:mail.domain.com, basic authentication.

When I try to send/receive from Outlook 2003 i get the message: 1 of 2 tasks have completed successfully, Task "Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004011D): 'The server is not available.  Contact your administrator if this condition persists.'

< Message edited by alto59 -- 1.Sep.2006 8:15:01 PM >

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: RPC over HTTPS - 2.Sep.2006 5:03:21 PM   
tshinder

Hi Alto,

Sounds like the Exchange Server is horked. Might want to investigate that.

Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to alto59)
Post #: 4
RE: RPC over HTTPS - 2.Sep.2006 7:05:18 PM   
alto59

Hmm.. what exactly could be the problem?  Clients local to the internal network are able to retreive their mail, and like I said, OWA is working fine through the ISA server.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5
RE: RPC over HTTPS - 2.Sep.2006 7:15:54 PM   
tshinder

Is RPC/HTTP working correctly from the Internal network? Computers will need to connect to the FE Exchange server directly and not bounce back through the ISA Firewall.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to alto59)
Post #: 6
RE: RPC over HTTPS - 2.Sep.2006 7:22:06 PM   
alto59

Well, clients on the internal network, the same network where the Exchange server resides, are able to pull down their email just fine using Outlook 2003.  They aren't going through the ISA server to retreive their email.

Clients on the external network, who can only reach the Exchange server through the ISA server are having problems.  As I said before, OWA works fine for them, but RPC/HTTP does not. 

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 7
RE: RPC over HTTPS - 3.Sep.2006 12:07:46 AM   
FrancWest

Hi,

I also cannot get RPC over HTTP through ISA to work. I've upgraded from 2004 where it worked perfectly. Now with 2006 I get numerous login prompts and cannot get past that. Everything worked fine with 2004, but with 2006 RPC is not working.

Franc.

(in reply to alto59)
Post #: 8
RE: RPC over HTTPS - 3.Sep.2006 12:12:14 AM   
FrancWest

When looking at the monitor in ISA 2006, the I've the following:

Allowed connection RPC_OUT_DATA

but then

failed connection attempt RPC_IN_DATA

Franc.

(in reply to FrancWest)
Post #: 9
RE: RPC over HTTPS - 3.Sep.2006 5:01:02 PM   
tshinder

Hi Franc,

When troubleshooting RPC/HTTP, never use the real time monitoring, it will never help you troubleshoot a problem as the results look the same when its working and it's not working. This is a known issue.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to FrancWest)
Post #: 10
RE: RPC over HTTPS - 3.Sep.2006 5:21:18 PM   
FrancWest

Hi,

I'm a bit further. It seems to work when you choose 'basic authentication' in Outlook RPC/HTTP configuration. When using the default NTLM authentication you get the numerous password prompts. In ISA 2004, NTLM did work though.

Franc.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 11
RE: RPC over HTTPS - 3.Sep.2006 5:39:16 PM   
tshinder

Make sure you delegate basic credentials.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to FrancWest)
Post #: 12
RE: RPC over HTTPS - 3.Sep.2006 5:48:59 PM   
FrancWest

Hi Tom,

what do you mean by that ? If I delegate it should NTLM work ? I've tried different combinations with Authentication Delegation but all of them give the numerous login prompts when NTLM is selected in outlook.

Franc.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 13
RE: RPC over HTTPS - 3.Sep.2006 5:51:10 PM   
tshinder

Hi Franc,

Don't use integrated use basic and have the Outlook client remember the password.

That should generate a single auth prompt.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to FrancWest)
Post #: 14
RE: RPC over HTTPS - 3.Sep.2006 5:55:30 PM   
FrancWest

Hi Tom,

I have. Problem with using basic authentication is, that the check box 'save password' is gone in the login prompt. So you have to enter your password everytime you start outlook (not a big deal though) but it's different than before.

Franc.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 15
RE: RPC over HTTPS - 3.Sep.2006 9:04:29 PM   
tshinder

Hi Franc,

Hmm. That's strange. I don't remember having to do this. I better double check and see what the problem might be.

Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to FrancWest)
Post #: 16

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Publishing] >> Exchange Publishing >> RPC over HTTPS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts