• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RPC over HTTP clients disconnect intermittently

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> General >> RPC over HTTP clients disconnect intermittently Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RPC over HTTP clients disconnect intermittently - 11.Nov.2008 5:26:49 AM   
chandra1412

Hello,

We have a simple network with ISA 2006 firewall connected to a switch and servers and clients also connecting to the same switch.

All clients are Web Proxy as well as firewall Clients. The clients' Outlook is configured to connect to an external Exchange server using RPC over HTTP technology.

Most of the time this works fine but intermittently the Outlook disconnects and gets stuck at "Trying to connect to Microsoft exchange".

As the time of disconnection if I turn on Real Time logging in ISA then it shows me that the return request from the exchange server is timing out. Again this does not always happen. Most of the times Outlook is connected.

How we solve this problem for the time being is also unsure and illogical. Sometimes closing Outlook completely and resigning into it works. At time restarting ISA server works.

When ever any disconnection happens it happens for most if not all the clients at the same time, therefore the possibility of a client side issue is bleak.

On our ISA server I have an Access Rule to allow HTTP and HTTPS outbound for All Users from Internal to External.

Kindly Advise!!

Thanks in Advance

Chandra
Post #: 1
RE: RPC over HTTP clients disconnect intermittently - 21.Nov.2008 10:49:34 AM   
tshinder

Are you sure it's a firewall problem and not an Internet connection issue?

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to chandra1412)
Post #: 2
RE: RPC over HTTP clients disconnect intermittently - 22.Nov.2008 1:04:20 AM   
chandra1412

Hello Tom,

I managed to fix that. Apparently it was an issue with the network design. We still do suspect our Internet connection for dropping a packet once in a while, but the situation is much better now.

Thank you,

Chandra

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: RPC over HTTP clients disconnect intermittently - 25.Nov.2008 8:02:27 AM   
tshinder

Very good!

It sounded like something other than a firewall problem.

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

Post #: 4
RE: RPC over HTTP clients disconnect intermittently - 4.Dec.2008 12:49:27 AM   
chandra1412

Hello Tom,

The issue re-occured and I have some netmon captures and logs from ISA monitoring. I tought it would be good if an expert can read them and suggest accordingly. I would appreciate if you can oblige. Below are the links to the log files.

http://rapidshare.com/files/170068509/Outlook_On_Isa.txt.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/170069009/OutlookIssue03122008.cap.html

Thanks and Regards,

Chandra

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5
RE: RPC over HTTP clients disconnect intermittently - 7.Dec.2008 9:15:00 PM   
tshinder

Are these machines configured as Web Proxy clients?

thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

Post #: 6
RE: RPC over HTTP clients disconnect intermittently - 7.Dec.2008 10:30:35 PM   
chandra1412

Hello Tom,

Yes all the client machines are configured as web proxy and secure NAT clients. We initially implemented Firewall Client support as well but just as a test we took it off for sometime. These logs were taken with the clients as web proxy and secureNAT clients only.

Thanks and Regards,

Chandra

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 7
RE: RPC over HTTP clients disconnect intermittently - 7.Dec.2008 10:45:11 PM   
chandra1412

Hello Tom,

Just to let you know..we have a second Internet connection from a different ISP. Last Thursday when the issue was occuring we switched over to this other connection but the issue continued. I have a port configured at my workstation with this second connection, just incase I need to test something by bypassing ISA. When I am connected to this port and to the connection directly, then my Outlook works fine, without a single disconnect.

When the same 2nd connection was terminated on ISA the issue still kept occurring. I thought this information would be helpful.

Thanks and Regards,

Chandra

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 8
RE: RPC over HTTP clients disconnect intermittently - 8.Dec.2008 9:20:09 AM   
tshinder

Hi Chandra,

thanks! I'm investigating if there are any issues with RPC/HTTP when placed behind the Web proxy.

One thing you might do until we find the answer is to configure the destination site(s) for direct access, so that the RPC/HTTP connections to those sites bypass the Web proxy filter on the firewall.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

Post #: 9
RE: RPC over HTTP clients disconnect intermittently - 9.Dec.2008 4:54:41 AM   
chandra1412

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the tip. I have configured the site to bypass Web Proxy and as of now it seems to be working fine. I understand this is more of a workaround for the issue. I really appreciate you taking interest in this issue and helping me out.

Kindly let me know if you discover anything further on this.

Thanks and Regards,

Chandra

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 10
RE: RPC over HTTP clients disconnect intermittently - 9.Dec.2008 6:25:13 AM   
chandra1412

Hello Tom,

I followed the below article and configured the site for direct access.

http://isaserver.org/articles/2004directaccessp1.html

I still see the request going through Web Proxy. Please take a look at the below links with screenshots and more logs. Kindly advise where I am going wrong. I also found a Microsoft KB article KB 838708 which tells me how to completely bypass WebProxy for HTTP protocol. Should I try doing this?

On accessing OWA I get the below

• Error Code: 504 Proxy Timeout. The connection timed out. (10060)
    IP Address: 195.90.8.63
    Date: 12/9/2008 10:36:37 AM [GMT]
    Server: SGGN10.kaeferindia.local
    Source: proxy

http://rapidshare.com/files/171714288/Internal_Config.JPG.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/171714412/ISA_Logging91208.txt.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/171714614/OnISA91208.cap.html

What I have done is I have just added the domain name that Outlook uses for the RPC over HTTP configuration to the Web Browsers tab. I did not do anything beyond that.

Kindly advise.

Thanks and Regards,

Chandra

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 11
RE: RPC over HTTP clients disconnect intermittently - 9.Dec.2008 9:37:37 AM   
tshinder

In order to use the domain list to bypass the Web proxy, the clients have to have access to the autoconfiguration script. How are the clients configured to be Web proxy clients?

Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

Post #: 12
RE: RPC over HTTP clients disconnect intermittently - 10.Dec.2008 12:32:08 AM   
chandra1412

Hello Tom,

Well the clients get the proxy server address from DHCP and the IE properties are populated using a group policy. I am not using an Auto Configuration script and to be honest don't know how to use 1 as well. Is there any other way around to provide direct access?

1 strange thing I have noticed is that the Outlook disconnection problem always starts around 12 noon local time and prevails all through the second half of the day.

Today as well right from the morning we have had no problem at all. But I expect the problems to start in an hour's time or so.

Thanks and Regards,

Chandra

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 13
RE: RPC over HTTP clients disconnect intermittently - 11.Dec.2008 9:45:39 AM   
tshinder

Given that it's a time related issue, it's hard to argue that the firewall is the problem, unless you have schedules applied to your rules. If there is a time based issue, it can be that there are some other network devices causing this issue.

Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

Post #: 14

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> General >> RPC over HTTP clients disconnect intermittently Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts