• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Recommendations for AV software?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Misc.] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> Recommendations for AV software? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recommendations for AV software? - 20.Oct.2005 10:51:00 AM   
olawton

Has anyone got any experiences good or bad with AV software for ISA 2004?

We've been using McAfee SecurityShield now for 9 months and it's been nothing but problems, I've logged numerous calls with them and currently running Patch 2 and my ISA Firewall service keeps stopping under load.

I've tested BitDefender for ISA and Panda ISAsecure and they both work with no problems or service crashes.

I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with either of them to share, to save us paying for a year of problems like we did with SecurityShield

Many Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Recommendations for AV software? - 23.Oct.2005 1:56:00 AM   
Sunny.C

Trend webprotect is pretty good from what i've seen but they haven't update to a more current version. I heard that they will be bringing out a new release soon. Overall trend looks good to me.

(in reply to olawton)
Post #: 2
RE: Recommendations for AV software? - 23.Oct.2005 2:06:00 AM   
olawton

Thanks, does that work on ISA 2004 ?

On their Web site it says the requirements are ISA 2000:-

Required Hardware & Software:

450MHz Intel PentiumÖ III or compatible CPU
MicrosoftÖ Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2000 Advanced Server with SP 1 or later
MicrosoftÖ Windows 2003 Server
Microsoft ISA Server 2000
Microsoft Internet Information Server
256MB RAM
20MB available disk space

(in reply to olawton)
Post #: 3
RE: Recommendations for AV software? - 23.Oct.2005 8:15:00 AM   
Sunny.C

I don't recall you might have to contact trend for that.If your after a virus gateway scanner you might want to try out GFI WebMonitor [Cool]

(in reply to olawton)
Post #: 4
RE: Recommendations for AV software? - 24.Oct.2005 7:51:00 PM   
digitalb

I can tell you guys this. I support 6 ISA 2004 standard proxies for a population of 7000. The servers are dual 3.06HT XEONS with 2.5GBRAM and they have a set of F5 Load Balancers in front of them. First we tried GFI which failed miserably for many reasons. The most important reason besides the crashing was the inability to create white lists for certain sites and/or users. Next I tried bitdefender which alows whitelisting but also crashes the Firewall service after a few hours. The firewall service complains that The Firewall service stopped because an application filter module C:\WINNT\system32\ntdll.dll generated an exception code C0000005 in address 7C8224B2 when function CompleteAsyncIO was called. To resolve this error, remove recently installed application filters and restart the service.
Anyone have any ideas how to fix this. Within 3 hours my event logs were full of messages stating that:
BitDefender Warning Message:

Cannot get HTTP HOST from server!

Thank you for choosing BitDefender for MS ISA Servers!
www.bitdefender.com

&

The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( BitDefender for ISA ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: BitDefender Warning Message:

Cannot get HTTP HOST from server!

Thank you for choosing BitDefender for MS ISA Servers!
www.bitdefender.com.

It's really nice how they add their little plug in the event logs. Any Ideas? Hows the Panda Plugin?

(in reply to olawton)
Post #: 5
RE: Recommendations for AV software? - 24.Oct.2005 8:13:00 PM   
digitalb

Hmmmm after checking out the GFI site it looks like they have finally added some much needed functionality to the newest version of their product. I would still be leary though. It consistently crashed our ISA servers many times. We do run Surf Control and it seems like that is the only stable add in. With just SC installed our servers have 100% uptime. Add annother filter and its 50% at best......totally unacceptable!

(in reply to olawton)
Post #: 6
RE: Recommendations for AV software? - 24.Oct.2005 8:47:00 PM   
Sunny.C

Only thing bad with surfconrtol is that it uses sql and it requires alot of cpu time. I am thinking of giving GFI webmon ago.

(in reply to olawton)
Post #: 7
RE: Recommendations for AV software? - 25.Oct.2005 1:05:00 AM   
olawton

It's all a bit depressing isn't it?

Symantec, Trend and Kaspersky can't get AV scanning to work at all on ISA2004 and everyone who does try it seems to crash the firewall service on some servers.

McAfee was crashing our firewall service but BitDefender isn't at the moment, but looks like BitDefender causes crashes for other people.

Have MS just totally screwed up the AV scanning system in ISA 2004? Everyone seemed to be able to AV scan properly in ISA 2000.

I have a suspicion that it's the FTP scanning filters that causes the problems, rather than the HTTP filter.
GFI are the only people who don't even try to scan FTP and they don't crash and BitDefender seems fine for us as long as we only install the HTTP filter.
It's not as bad as it sounds though because FTP downloads using MSIE are scanned by the HTTP filter by the look of it, it's only FTP clients that use the FTP filter.

(in reply to olawton)
Post #: 8
RE: Recommendations for AV software? - 25.Oct.2005 9:19:00 AM   
digitalb

Peter, that's a good thought to try just the http service. I wouldn't have thought that FTP would screw everything up, but its worth a go. I am reinstalling it on one of our prod servers right now to see how it goes with just http scanning. I will post back with any results.

(in reply to olawton)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Misc.] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> Recommendations for AV software? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts