• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

SMTP Filtering rules and mail server publishing

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> SMTP Filtering rules and mail server publishing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SMTP Filtering rules and mail server publishing - 22.May2001 8:47:00 PM   
rjh30

I have very successfully set up ISA server on our LAN, which has a gigabit connection to the Internet.

I am publishing two internal web servers and a mail server.

All of this works fine!

Now I want to introduce SMTP content filtering. I have gone through the SMTP filtering tutorial, configured the ISA server's virtual SMTP server, checked that the filtering .dll is present, and enabled the SMTP filtering rules.

BUT - Nothing happens! - Mail still gets to the SMTP server inside the network unfiltered.

The only thing I can think of changing is to alter the mail re-direction rule, to redirect inbound SMTP traffic to the internal interface of the ISA server (on which the virtual SMTP server is listening).

Is this the answer, or am I missing something?

Richard Harvey

Post #: 1
RE: SMTP Filtering rules and mail server publishing - 23.May2001 7:22:00 PM   
mmillar

Richard,

Don't know exactly the answer but hopefully can help.

If you are publishing your mail server with a publishing rule then effectively you are publishing TCP port 25 of your mail server on the Internet side of your ISA server. You are therefore bypassing any rules that the ISA server has.

If you want your SMTP rules to work you would have to get rid of your mail publishing rule, configure SMTP on your ISA server so that it receives mail on port 25, configure SMTP so that it knows how to pass mail onto your internal mail server, and configure your mail server so that it knows how to send and receive mail from your ISA SMTP connection. You would also need to be careful about relaying.

Never done it, don't know if it works, but please let us know.

And btw unless you are very very very rich I doubt if you have a Gigabit connection to the Internet!

Cheers

Martin

(in reply to rjh30)
Post #: 2
RE: SMTP Filtering rules and mail server publishing - 24.May2001 9:57:00 AM   
rjh30

Martin,

Many thanks. Seriously, we do have a gigbit connection to the ISA server (IBM Netfinity adapter), and then fibre to the UK academic backbone - so no, not rich, just academic!

I solved the problem. All I needed to do was alter the mail wizard rule for the SMTP server rule to route incoming SMTP connections to the internal address of the ISA server instead of the internal mail server. I left all of the other rules alone (POP3 etc) - they just re-direct connections straight to the mail server.

Then everything immediately started working with junk mail, viruses and insecure attachmnents etc being filtered off.

Richard

(in reply to rjh30)
Post #: 3
RE: SMTP Filtering rules and mail server publishing - 25.May2001 9:41:00 AM   
mmillar

Gigabit Boy,

Excellent. I'm going to try that.

Cheers

Martin

(in reply to rjh30)
Post #: 4
RE: SMTP Filtering rules and mail server publishing - 27.May2001 12:03:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Richard,

Good to hear that you got it working! Did you have to disable socket pooling on the ISA Server to get it to work correctly?

Thanks!

Tom

------------------
Tom Shinder
http://www.isaserver.org/shinder/

Get It Here

(in reply to rjh30)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> SMTP Filtering rules and mail server publishing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts