• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

SMTP error 5.5.2 Syntax error command line too long

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> SMTP error 5.5.2 Syntax error command line too long Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SMTP error 5.5.2 Syntax error command line too long - 4.May2006 6:37:12 PM   
cybersynergy

Hello everyone.
     We have been working on this weired email issue. Everyone else can send us mail and we can send out without issue but with this one company. They have ISA 2004 and Exchange 2003 we have ISA 2004 and exchange 2003 we capture packets and here is the error we got

Response: 421 5.5.2 Syntax error (command line too long)\r\n

I have searched for this error and some one was leading us to it being an isa to exchange issue. They can receive email all day from us but nothing will make it back to us. Anyone have an ideas we would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks and make it an awesome day. Bill

Post #: 1
RE: SMTP error 5.5.2 Syntax error command line too long - 10.May2006 1:40:35 PM   
tshinder

Hi Bill,

Is the ISA firewall or the SMTP relay generating the error?

thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to cybersynergy)
Post #: 2
RE: SMTP error 5.5.2 Syntax error command line too long - 10.May2006 10:41:01 PM   
cybersynergy

It seems it is coming from exchange.

Post #: 3
RE: SMTP error 5.5.2 Syntax error command line too long - 10.May2006 10:58:28 PM   
cybersynergy

Sorry Tom it was the exchange giving the response

Post #: 4
RE: SMTP error 5.5.2 Syntax error command line too long - 12.May2006 4:07:35 PM   
tshinder

Hi Cyber,

OK, it's good to hear that it wasn't the ISA firewall's fault!

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

Post #: 5
RE: SMTP error 5.5.2 Syntax error command line too long - 17.May2006 6:19:27 PM   
cybersynergy

Good morning Tom,
       It does seems to be the isa2004 smtp filter causing this issue. We both have it turned on and i have found kb312213 but it refers to exchange 5.0. They have isa 2004 and we do as well. I have been on the msexchange.org and he was pointing out that it might because they are using helo instead of ehlo. Kirkm has been responding from that message board and has been a great help. He is one of the messages from him (kirkm
It happened when ISA 2004 first came out and it was only with one company.  Email could go outbound to the other company, but not inbound.  In the logs it looked like something to do with them sending HELO, rather than EHLO.  I hope that helps. ) do you have any ideas on this error? Thank you for all your help Bill

Bill

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 6
RE: SMTP error 5.5.2 Syntax error command line too long - 19.May2006 3:16:14 PM   
tshinder

Hi Bill,

Here's an excellent article that might help you out:

Look towards the bottom of the article on the discussion of SMTP verbs.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

Post #: 7
RE: SMTP error 5.5.2 Syntax error command line too long - 25.Jan.2007 1:14:07 PM   
jmoorech

Just in case anyone else is running into this issue.  I was having trouble receiving email from one specific domain to our domain.  I could send email to them but they could not send to me.  The resolution for me was found in this Microsoft article after running a packet sniffer on the firewall and finding the error:
421 5.5.2 Syntax Error (command too long)

MS Article -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312213

After change the NOOP verb size from 6 to 1024 on the ISA 2004 SMTP filter as recommended in the article I could receive email from their domain.

Jason

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 8
RE: SMTP error 5.5.2 Syntax error command line too long - 27.Jan.2007 12:15:14 PM   
tshinder

Hi Jason,

Nice tip!

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to jmoorech)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> SMTP error 5.5.2 Syntax error command line too long Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts