• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Scripting TMG installation

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010] >> Installation >> Scripting TMG installation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scripting TMG installation - 18.May2009 8:05:00 AM   
oreidomar

As I've mentioned before in a couple posts, I need to perform an as-much-as-possible unattended installation of TMG Beta 2.

Starting from a WS2008 base (virtual, Hyper-V), I've achieved to script IP addresses in both adapters, scripted installation of required features (powershell, MSMQ and .Net FW 3.0) via ServerManagerCmd, joined domain (hand-made, any help will be appreciated here) and perform and unattended TMG installation by observing the log file.

The question now is: I'm about to perform the TMG configuration, which I guess it won't be possible to perform unattendedly, and I've realized I haven't tuned the LAN adapters (unbind Netbios for North interface, etc., as Dr. Shinder suggests in that manual we've all followed), so is there any way to script, via netsh commands, those netbios unbindings, sorting of network adapters, etc.? I've found a "not possible answer" for XP, but nothing that clear for Vista/WS2008, so I don't know whether it's not possible or it's just that I don't know how to. Does anyone know?

Thanks a lot.

PS: BTW, Should the scripts be helpful to anyone, just ask and I'll post them.
Post #: 1
RE: Scripting TMG installation - 18.May2009 9:49:51 AM   
tshinder

Don't know if netsh will help you, but here's a reference that might have the answer:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f41878de-2ee7-4718-8499-2ef336db3df5&displaylang=en

yes! I'm sure people would appreciate the scripts you've put together.

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to oreidomar)
Post #: 2
RE: Scripting TMG installation - 18.May2009 3:11:01 PM   
Jason Jones

quote:

ORIGINAL: oreidomar

As I've mentioned before in a couple posts, I need to perform an as-much-as-possible unattended installation of TMG Beta 2.

Starting from a WS2008 base (virtual, Hyper-V), I've achieved to script IP addresses in both adapters, scripted installation of required features (powershell, MSMQ and .Net FW 3.0) via ServerManagerCmd, joined domain (hand-made, any help will be appreciated here) and perform and unattended TMG installation by observing the log file.

The question now is: I'm about to perform the TMG configuration, which I guess it won't be possible to perform unattendedly, and I've realized I haven't tuned the LAN adapters (unbind Netbios for North interface, etc., as Dr. Shinder suggests in that manual we've all followed), so is there any way to script, via netsh commands, those netbios unbindings, sorting of network adapters, etc.? I've found a "not possible answer" for XP, but nothing that clear for Vista/WS2008, so I don't know whether it's not possible or it's just that I don't know how to. Does anyone know?

Thanks a lot.

PS: BTW, Should the scripts be helpful to anyone, just ask and I'll post them.

I wanted to script "best practice" config for NICs but netsh didn't seem to have the ability to change bindings, bind order etc. The best I could do was to use netsh to rename the NICs and set IP information like address, mask and gateway.

Please post if you find something!

Cheers

JJ

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk/ and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk/

(in reply to oreidomar)
Post #: 3
RE: Scripting TMG installation - 8.Jun.2009 12:03:55 PM   
oreidomar

Unfortunately, I didn't find anything relevant. So my solution was left as a document and a link to this site.

As for the scripts, there are two steps which I could automate:

- Prerequisites (my VM already had Powershell installed).
servermanagercmd -i MSMQ-Services
servermanagercmd -i MSMQ-Directory

You'd restart after this.

- Installation.
First part, starts installation of TMG:
\TMG\FPC\setup.exe REBOOT=ReallySuppress /v"/qn FULLPATHANSWERFILE=\"D:\SCRIPTS\Standaloneserver.ini\""
In which paths can be changed, as long as the one for the .ini file remains full (I found no way to specify a working relative path here).
Second part, follows installation by tailing the log file:
.\tail -f C:\Windows\Temp\ISAWRAP*.log
After a while, a line with text "SETUP_SUCCESS" should appear.

I know it's not very elegant, but it did the job in my case.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers!

(in reply to Jason Jones)
Post #: 4
RE: Scripting TMG installation - 9.Jun.2009 10:14:32 AM   
tshinder

Thanks!

Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to oreidomar)
Post #: 5
RE: Scripting TMG installation - 4.Oct.2012 2:28:35 AM   
bzanten

Hi Guys,
a very late reply, but when this post is used as a reference, in the future you can benefit:

installing roles & features: use WS2008 R2 Powershell commands:
Import-Module ServerManager
Add-WindowsFeature <name>

use the Get-WindowsFeature to get a list of the names.

to script changing binding orders of your NICS and bindings of protocols to your NICs, use the nvspbind utility from MSDN :
http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/nvspbind
I've use this utility in the past to configure network bindings on Server Core and Hyper-V servers, where you have no GUI. So you Have to use command lines.

Greetz, Ben

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010] >> Installation >> Scripting TMG installation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts