• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Server overkill?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Installation >> Server overkill? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Server overkill? - 26.Jan.2004 11:11:00 AM   
Cybex

Dear Isaserver supporters,

I am currently working on a server that is being used as proxy server for 2100+ user enviroment. The server and internet connection has the following specs:

Internet downstream: approx. 14mbit
Internet upstream: approx. 2mbit
Lan 2x 100mbit (or 1000mbit, not sure yet)
Processor: dual intel Xeon 2,4Ghz
Memory: 1Gb
Harddisk: SCSI Raid, 3x 36Gb

My questions:

- Can I use this server for a proxyserver or should I downgrade it?
- Should I use Windows 2000 or 2003 as OS?
- What Raid should I use? Raid 0 (striping)?

Regards, Cybex
Post #: 1
RE: Server overkill? - 28.Jan.2004 2:57:00 PM   
GerryFSU

Your right, this is a serious server.
Dual XEON processors is a bit much, but yoou could set the affinity on one processor to run the ISA service.
As for RAID, depending on the amount of cache you want available will dictate your configuration. If you can live with only 36Gb total, go with a RAID-3. This type uses striping and dedicates one drive to storing parity information. The embedded error checking (ECC) information is used to detect errors. Data recovery is accomplished by calculating the exclusive OR (XOR) of the information recorded on the other drives. For this reason, RAID-3 is best for single-user systems with long record applications. (striping). You'll get the fastest performance in caching that way.

(in reply to Cybex)
Post #: 2
RE: Server overkill? - 8.Jul.2013 8:51:06 PM   
sospopuu

You can recover the lost pictures with data recovery software. I've tried this Data Recovery, the deep recovery mode is powerful and helped me recover files. Free to download it fromhttp://www.passwordreset.biz/data-recovery.html

(in reply to GerryFSU)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Installation >> Server overkill? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts