• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Symantec Web Security 3

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Misc.] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> Symantec Web Security 3 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Symantec Web Security 3 - 16.Dec.2006 8:49:22 PM   
XVILLAFUERTE

Hi, we are using Symantec web Security 3 (which is not integrated with ISA) as a web content filtering solution. Currently all our desktops are being configured with AD GPO to use the Web Security as Proxy Server. Then the web Security forwards the request to ISA Server 2006. The GPO unchecks automatically configuration settings in the Browser and manually configures the proxy settings. It worked fine for desktops however for laptops we have a little problem.

The users of those equipments have private Internet connections in their homes. When they try to use them, the Internet Explorer cannot connect to the Internet because it is still trying to use the internal web security proxy server. Checking the Automatically Detect Settings allows these users to use their Internet Connections, but when they connect their laptops to the Corporate LAN, those configurations are gone and the problem is detected again in the night.

It could be a simple solution to ask them to do the check in the night; however, we are expecting that laptops connections that could be used in the local facilities and later in the employee homes would increase 1000%. So, I think that this configuration could be transparent for all.

Is there any way to configure IE to use the webproxy if the is checked the automatically configuration settings? I was reading about PAC files and WPAD configuration. Currently we have deployed WPAD in our DHCP server pointing to the ISA Server. Can some configuration in the ISA do the magic?

I know that there is a new version of Symantec Web Security that can be an add-on for ISA, but I would like to save a couple of thousand dollars in licences.

Any help would be appreciated

Xavier Villafuerte
Post #: 1
RE: Symantec Web Security 3 - 18.Dec.2006 9:02:13 AM   
Hi Xavier,
you said that you have the gpo with AD. this means that those laptops are part of the domain?
if so the gpo only applies if the user logs onto domain.
when going home the user must log onto "this computer" not onto the domain using cached credentials.
even if the username and password are the same, one user will be a local user and the other a domain user.
so the gpo would not apply to the local user, right ?
the settings made by the user for its local account in Internet Explorer will remain
untouched.
once he logs onto domain he will have its proxy settings configured automatically by the gpo.

(in reply to XVILLAFUERTE)
  Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Misc.] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> Symantec Web Security 3 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts