• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA Server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA Server Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA Server - 2.Mar.2001 2:52:00 AM   
How to get DirectPlay Games to work through ISA Server:

1)
Make a new protocol definition with this data:
Primary connection: TCP 47624 Outbound
Secondary connections:
2300-2400 UDP Send Receive
2300-2400 TCP Outbound
2300-2400 TCP Inbound

2)
Then assign that protocol to an access rule to allow it to go through.

3)
Then go to the Firewall Client properties on the ISA Server.
Select "Application Settings" tab
You need to make three new entries on this tab:
<exename> RemoteBindUdpPorts 2300-2400
<exename> ServerBindTcpPorts 2300-2400
<exename> KillOldSession 1

where <exename> is the name of the game executable that you are running. You can find this by looking in task manager and seeing the exe name while the game is running. Here is an example of what you would put in there if it were Age of Empires 2:

empires2 RemoteBindUdpPorts 2300-2400
empires2 ServerBindTcpPorts 2300-2400
empires2 KillOldSession 1

The exe name is empires2.exe. Make sure that you don't put the .exe in there.

NOTE: You have to do this (step 3) for EVERY different DirectPlay game that you want to run. Kind of a pain, but it works. If someone knows a better way to get this done that easyer, please let me know. I'm also looking to get file transfers to work both directions using MSN Messenger. If someone knows how to do this, I'd love to hear it. I was thinking of making a web page that documents all this stuff for all these different apps. I don't know if there is one or not so I was thinking of starting my own.

------------------
-Allistah

Post #: 1
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 2.Mar.2001 9:56:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Allistah,

Thanks for the info! There are been a few requests for how to get games to work, but we've been spending our time on business applications, so we haven't got the chance to hunt this information down. I really appreciate your putting this up!

Thanks!

Tom

------------------
Tom Shinder
http://www.isaserver.org/shinder/

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 2.Mar.2001 6:29:00 PM   
Not a problem. I was thinking of creating a web page that has a archive for stuff like this. Sharing information is where its at! :-) I don't know if theres a "Protocol Definition" archive or not, but if theres not, I was thinking of making a simple page that had all this info laid out for people to use. Then they go to it, see a list, and get whatever info they want for whatever program. What do you think?

------------------
-Allistah

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 3
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 3.Mar.2001 8:43:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Allistah,

Excellent idea! We could put a link to your page here on isaserver.org to point them to your excellent resource.

Thanks!

Tom

------------------
Tom Shinder

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 4
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 4.Mar.2001 12:42:00 AM   
Tom,

Would you please contact me regarding this? I'd like to come up with a common format that we can use so it will be easy for people to understand and implement. email me at allistah@hotmail.com and we can go from there. Until then, I'll get something going.

------------------
-Allistah

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 5
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 4.Mar.2001 11:17:00 PM   
See what you think about this for a format:
http://www.pirnie.org/isaserver/app-ports.htm

I might made a full page so people can send updates/corrections to me and stuff. Hows that look? Don't like to that page directly yet though. hehe

------------------
-Allistah

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 6
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 5.Mar.2001 1:50:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Allistah,

Very nice web page! I'll see about getting a link posted on this site pointing to your page.

Thanks!

Tom

------------------
Tom Shinder

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 7
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 5.Mar.2001 10:16:00 AM   
Herlock

I added a protocol definition with the following specs:

port 28900 TCP Outbound

Secondaries:
7000-30000 UDP Send Recieve
7000-30000 UDP Recieve Send

This is normally for Unreal but i used it with Deus EX (which as far as i know uses the engine from Unreal) and i were even able to serve games/see ping statistics etc.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 8
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 6.Mar.2001 3:11:00 AM   
felafel

I tried the half life recommendations and even added to them for the new servers that are part of halflife. It does not work.

*** Original Settings ***
Half-Life
Primary Connection
Port Number Protocol Type Direction
27015 UDP Send Receive

Secondary Connections
Port Range Protocol Type Direction
27015-27050 UDP Receive
27010 UDP Send Receive
7002 TCP Outbound

*** My Settings ***
Half-Life
Primary Connection
Port Number Protocol Type Direction
27015 UDP Send Receive

Secondary Connections
Port Range Protocol Type Direction
27015-27050 UDP Receive
27010-27011 UDP Send Receive
7001-7002 TCP Outbound

I added 27011 to work with a new server and 7001 to work with the complimentary server to 7002.

It does not work. Help with this is appreciated.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 9
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 6.Mar.2001 4:44:00 AM   
soulFile

Here's a couple for your protocols page.

Quake2&3: basically the same as HalfLife...

For Example:

QUAKE3

1)
Protocol Definitions:
'Quake3':
Primary Connection: 27960 UDP Send
'Quake3a':
Primary Connection: 26000-29000 UDP Send Recieve
Secondary Connection: 26000-29000 UDP Recieve Send

2)
Protocol Rule:
'Quake3': Allow: Quake3,Quake3a

3)
Firewall Client: Application Settings:
'quake3': localBindUdpPorts 27960
'quake3': remoteBindUdpPorts 26000-29000

Step 3) not nescessary(?)... Like HalfLife you'll have to add primary connections for servers running on ports other than 27960 (commonly: 27961,27962,etc.) Also Q3 has socks 5 support which is a better solution, but would require SurrogateSockets v5 since it uses UDP. I don't know how to get the ingame server browser to work either, but I use Gamespy anyway...

GAMESPY:

1)
Protocol Definition:
'GameSpy':
Primary Connection: 28900 TCP Outbound
Secondary Connections:
26000-29000 TCP Outbound
26000-29000 UDP Send
26000-29000 UDP Recieve

2)
Protocol Rule:
'GameSpy': Allow: GameSpy

3)
Enable the firewall support in Gamespy: Tools->Options->Enable Firewall Support.

Again, you'll have to add primary connections depending on what games/master servers you use. You can find the ports by right clicking on the 'master' servers and selecting properties.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 10
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 6.Mar.2001 7:39:00 AM   
Hey Felafel, tell me what server you were trying to play on and I'll see what changes need to be made to your config.

You are using the firewall client too right? Just add that protocol definition for Halflife, add a rule so that protocol is allowed and use the firewall client. It should work. Have you tried other servers that operate on the regular port number of 27015?

------------------
-Allistah

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 11
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 6.Mar.2001 7:41:00 AM   
SoulFile,

I don't think you'll need to add that data to the Firewall config. Do you know if you can trim down those port numbers? Those are some big ranges to open. If you can figure out exactly what port numbers to have open, please post them.

------------------
-Allistah

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 12
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 6.Mar.2001 9:23:00 AM   
soulFile

D'OH! sorry, Allistah, was typing from memory which is not good. Only GameSpy needs 26000-29000. Where 26000-29000 appears in the quake3 protocols replace with 27950-27970 (that range includes the id master update and auth server ports, and the most popular game server ports). I went to my ISA serv to verify, these are correct, sorry about that.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 13
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 6.Mar.2001 10:19:00 AM   
Could you post the correct setup then? I'm not a quake player, so I'm a little confused about the ports. It requires two primary ports? If you could post it again with the right numbers I'll post it on my page. Also, Quake3 and Quake3a use different ports?

------------------
-Allistah

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 14
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 6.Mar.2001 12:18:00 PM   
soulFile

quote:
Originally posted by Allistah:
Could you post the correct setup then? I'm not a quake player, so I'm a little confused about the ports. It requires two primary ports? If you could post it again with the right numbers I'll post it on my page. Also, Quake3 and Quake3a use different ports?

Yes it requires more than 1 primary (I remember having to screw around with this alot and netmon the connections to get it to work). and, No 'Quake3' and 'Quake3a' were just the names I gave to the two protocol definitions. Let's see if I can describe it better. ;p

1)
Make two protocol definitions:
1a) Primary Connection: 27960 UDP Send Recieve
Secondary Connection: 27950-27970 UDP Recieve Send
1b) Primary Connection: 27961 UDP Send Receive
Secondary Connection: 27950-27970 UDP Recieve Send

2)
Create a Protocol Rule to allow the protocols you defined in step 1.
For example: I created a protocol rule named 'Quake3' to allow my protocols named 'quake3a' and 'quake3b'.

(NOTE: Add another primary connection definition in step 1 for each game server port you want to connect to: 27962,27963,etc. Also, you could probably be more specific with the secondaries using only 27951, 27952 (for the id update/auth servers), 27960 (for the game client) and the specific server port for each, but the above is easier for me and it works... if it ain't broke...)

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 15
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 7.Mar.2001 5:54:00 AM   
felafel

>>Hey Felafel, tell me what server you were trying to play on and I'll see what changes need to be made to your config.
--I tried many servers. If I connect the machine directly to the DSL modem it works like a charm.

>> You are using the firewall client too right?
--yes

>>Just add that protocol definition for Halflife, add a rule so that protocol is allowed and use the firewall client. It should work.
--I did this and it did not work. I press the "Internet Games" button and it just hangs for a while (3+ minutes). Then a list comes up (~9500 servers with 0 players and only IP addresses) and I can't connect to any games.

>>Have you tried other servers that operate on the regular port number of 27015?
--I have tried many servers.

--Allistah, do you have anything else set that you can think of?

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 16
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 26.Mar.2001 11:57:00 PM   
Herlock

NOLF (No one lives forever)
(for connecting to server)
port 27888 UDP Send Recieve

Secondaries:
26000-28000 UDP Send Recieve
26000-28000 UDP Recieve Send
(should work with all gamespy games)

(for running a server)
port 27888 UDP Recieve Send

Secondaries:
26000-28000 UDP Send Recieve
26000-28000 UDP Recieve Send

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 17
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 27.Mar.2001 12:02:00 AM   
Herlock

i forgot to mention...u need also to make the firewall client additions as follows:

(for connecting to servers)
lithtech - ServerBindTcpPorts 26000-28000
lithtech - RemotebindUdpPorts 26000-28000
lithtech - KillOldSession 1

(for running a server)
nolfserv - ServerBindTcpPorts 26000-28000
nolfserv - RemotebindUdpPorts 26000-28000
nolfserv - KillOldSession 1

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 18
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 10.May2001 12:17:00 PM   
can some1 post how to publish a Counter Strike (HL) Server behind ISA Server ?

but it also should be possible to play from behind the ISA with a client !

ive tryed couldn publish and the Client got hung ! 8(

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 19
RE: This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA S... - 12.Jul.2001 12:43:00 AM   
GO4MCSE

I was having the same problem. I have got your answer for ya. What I did is create another protocol definition for the WON Authentication. I used everything else as told on this discussion group. Try taking out the port 7002 as a secondary connection and set it up as a primary.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> This is how to get DirectPlay to work through ISA Server Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts