• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Upgrade MSDE to SQL 2005 Express on ISA 2006

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Upgrade MSDE to SQL 2005 Express on ISA 2006 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Upgrade MSDE to SQL 2005 Express on ISA 2006 - 17.Apr.2008 9:26:35 PM   
scotteberg

I have a ISA 2006 EE Array setup with each logging to their local MSDE instances. I recently had experience of upgrading some of our other software vendor MSDE instances to SQL 2005 Express. I have noticed the SQL express will take up substantially less memory footprint(and I was having a issue of MSDE taking up 1.25GB mem on my ISA boxes) so I upgraded the ISA MSDE instance to SQL 2005 Express on one of my servers, there were no issues except needing to reboot. While I had seen it was possible to log to SQL 2005 from ISA 2006 I hadn't seen anything on this approach. All the database files being created seem to be set to SQL 2000 compatibility. So I ask have I done something that will break in the future?

< Message edited by scotteberg -- 17.Apr.2008 9:46:43 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Upgrade MSDE to SQL 2005 Express on ISA 2006 - 17.Apr.2008 11:51:09 PM   
elmajdal

Hi,

check this article : http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Firewall-Logging-Microsoft-SQL-database.html

HTH,
Tarek

Tarek Majdalani

Windows Expert - IT Pro MVP
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/ElMajdal.Net

(in reply to scotteberg)
Post #: 2
RE: Upgrade MSDE to SQL 2005 Express on ISA 2006 - 18.Apr.2008 11:52:03 AM   
scotteberg

Not exactly what I'm looking for:

- I want to be able to have a overall lower memory requirement by SQL(MSDE) on box.     (Currently MSDE seems to eat up alot by comparision to SQL 2005, if memory limiting is the way to do this fine I'll try that)

- I want to have the total of all databases size limited to 10 -15 gig, and only maintain the most recent four weeks as space allows (similar to how the MSDE logging is supposed to function in ISA, and I'm no SQL wiz so unless I'm given a script to do this in a Scheduled Tasks I'll be lost)

I just would figure replacing the msde from ISA2006 with SQL Express 2005 would be a supportable configuration. Afterall 2006 > 2005.

Anyways my chance upgrade may have already caused a issue

(in reply to scotteberg)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Upgrade MSDE to SQL 2005 Express on ISA 2006 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts