• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

WSPSRV.EXE chewing up all RAM and CPU

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> WSPSRV.EXE chewing up all RAM and CPU Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WSPSRV.EXE chewing up all RAM and CPU - 19.Feb.2004 8:03:00 PM   
phillen

I have no idea why the proxy is chewing up so much ram and cpu. This just started about a week ago and no changes have been made to it prior to.

I end up having to reboot the server to clear it out and sure enough the ram and cpu will max out, rendering the server dead.

No server publishing, no web proxy, nothing works.

I have around 75 machines, and almost all of them are configured as firewall clients.

Can anyone out there give me a heads up on why this might be happening, any issues I need to look at.

Thanks in advance everyone
Paul
Post #: 1
RE: WSPSRV.EXE chewing up all RAM and CPU - 15.Mar.2004 6:56:00 PM   
Check out Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 290731. I have just disabled hyperthreading on my P4 to solve this problem, and it worked !

God bless M$ without whom I would be unemployed...

(in reply to phillen)
  Post #: 2
RE: WSPSRV.EXE chewing up all RAM and CPU - 21.Mar.2004 1:24:00 PM   
hardnrash

how to stop multithreading?

(in reply to phillen)
Post #: 3
RE: WSPSRV.EXE chewing up all RAM and CPU - 21.Mar.2004 8:57:00 PM   
hardnrash

i have applied SP1 FP1 and itwas working fine but since last 5 days wspserv.exe is using all the resources and showing 90 to 99% of the Usage

Plz Help

(in reply to phillen)
Post #: 4
RE: WSPSRV.EXE chewing up all RAM and CPU - 7.Apr.2004 12:33:00 PM   
bigbrent

Has anyone fixed this yet? I am now having this problem and applying the service pack and all updates doesn't work.

Thanks,
Brent

(in reply to phillen)
Post #: 5
RE: WSPSRV.EXE chewing up all RAM and CPU - 19.May2004 11:27:00 PM   
M$ kb835732 (Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011)
conflicts with ISA 2000.

This security hotfix of M$ causes the following error in the application log

An operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full.

Thus never apply security hotfixes without be able to roll them back [Wink]

(in reply to phillen)
  Post #: 6
RE: WSPSRV.EXE chewing up all RAM and CPU - 19.May2004 11:32:00 PM   
herbe007

M$ kb835732 (Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011)
conflicts with ISA 2000.

This security hotfix of M$ causes the following error in the application log

An operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full.

Thus never apply security hotfixes without be able to roll them back [Wink]

Bye

(in reply to phillen)
Post #: 7
RE: WSPSRV.EXE chewing up all RAM and CPU - 12.Jul.2004 5:46:00 PM   
Has this issue been resolved? What is the fix, I am having the same problem. The hotfix was applied 2 months ago and I am now just starting to have a problem with wspsrv tying up memory.
Please reply.
Thanks

(in reply to phillen)
  Post #: 8
RE: WSPSRV.EXE chewing up all RAM and CPU - 13.Jul.2004 3:58:00 AM   
atlanticinternet

I had the same problem and resolved it .. the cause was excessive SNAT sessions from internal clients.. I applied Service Pack 2 for ISA (released only recently) and it fixed it ..

hope this helps.
AI [Cool]

(in reply to phillen)
Post #: 9
RE: WSPSRV.EXE chewing up all RAM and CPU - 13.Jul.2004 3:59:00 AM   
atlanticinternet

Also to stop hyperthreading .. your bios will have to do this for you.

(in reply to phillen)
Post #: 10
RE: WSPSRV.EXE chewing up all RAM and CPU - 14.Jul.2004 5:00:00 PM   
I have ISA sp2 applied, did it on Monday. I still have the problem. It does seem to be internal because I also am getting scan port attacks from 192.168.1.1
I have not installed any new PC's as of late. This port scanning started last week with public IP addresses and this week it is only the 192.168.1.1
I work for a school system, so right now there is only a few people working. If Ican;t get this resolved soon the ISA with choke when all the students come back and start hitting it.
I will check the hyperthreading but don't believe it is running, this is an older server.
Thanks for the help so far and please keep it coming, I am beginning to give up hope.

(in reply to phillen)
  Post #: 11
RE: WSPSRV.EXE chewing up all RAM and CPU - 14.Jul.2004 10:20:00 PM   
Thank you for your help.
I have the problem solved for now. I found an XP PC on our network that was sending loads of packets internal, actually millions.
I ran AdAware, checked the programs installed, but could not find a program that was causing all the traffic. So, I did a system restore, and restored it back to a date before all this starting happenining. My cpu on the ISA server went down to normal as soon as I disabled the network card on that PC; everything returned to normal.
After the system restore all is well.
Does anyone know what could've caused this? I wish I knew the program so if it happens again I can take care of it without doing a restore.
Thanks for all your help

(in reply to phillen)
  Post #: 12
RE: WSPSRV.EXE chewing up all RAM and CPU - 16.Jul.2004 4:39:00 PM   
ClintD

If you install Network Monitor on the ISA Server, you will b e able to see the client connecting to ISA on port 1745 (Firewall Client communication channel).

When the session is setup, the applications name will be sent in the initial session setup so you could figure it out that way.

(in reply to phillen)
Post #: 13

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> WSPSRV.EXE chewing up all RAM and CPU Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts