• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Win2k: Firewall Clients have no network (LAN) access on reboot

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Win2k: Firewall Clients have no network (LAN) access on reboot Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Win2k: Firewall Clients have no network (LAN) access on... - 15.Oct.2003 2:16:00 PM   
issi_shouck

Hey everybody, this is my first post to the forums, so please forgive me if I leave out something...

We've had this problem with our Win2K clients who have the Firewall client installed. When they reboot, their IP address is 0.0.0.0. That happens only if the cord is connected. If I wait until the login screen is up, and then connect the ethernet cord, everything is fine. They get their IP, and everything works. Until the next time they reboot.

I posted at NTCompatible about this several months ago, before I knew it was the Firewall Client, here:
http://www.ntcompatible.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24434&highlight=

I'd REALLY like to figure this out. Thanks in advance!
shouck
Post #: 1
RE: Win2k: Firewall Clients have no network (LAN) acces... - 15.Oct.2003 5:08:00 PM   
AbqBill

Hi shouck,

How do you know for sure that it's the firewall client? I have not had this problem on any machine using the firewall client.

Does it happen on every machine with the firewall client installed? When you remove the firewall client, does the problem go away?

What happens if you log onto a problem machine as a local administrator and use the command ipconfig /renew?

Thanks,

Bill

(in reply to issi_shouck)
Post #: 2
RE: Win2k: Firewall Clients have no network (LAN) acces... - 15.Oct.2003 5:15:00 PM   
issi_shouck

Hey Bill, thanks for the reply.

If I Remove the Firewall Client, the PC will boot fine every time. Network access and all.

It's not every machine that has the client, it's only (from my experienece) Windows 2000 machines. Windows XP is unaffected by it. Windows 98/Me clients are also unaffected.

The link that I posted to NTCompatible, I'm "altered_computers". All the symptoms and suggestions that I've tried are in there. (There's a few)

:edit: sorry, forgot to add, ipconfig /renew just hangs indefinately.

Thanks
Steve Houck

[ October 15, 2003, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: shouck ]

Post #: 3
RE: Win2k: Firewall Clients have no network (LAN) acces... - 15.Oct.2003 7:19:00 PM   
AbqBill

Hi shouck,

It is my experience that ipconfig /renew will eventually time out. How long have you waited?

What happens if you disable then enable the local network interface? Does that work?

Does it happen to all of the Windows 2000 machines, without exception, or just some of them?

Have you tried the "repair" option in Add/Remove Programs for the FW client?

Did you use drive imaging to prepare these Windows 2000 machines? (Could there be something wrong with the image?)

Is your DHCP server functioning properly?

Sorry so many questions,

Bill

Post #: 4
RE: Win2k: Firewall Clients have no network (LAN) acces... - 15.Oct.2003 8:41:00 PM   
issi_shouck

Hi Bill, thanks for the replies.

I've learned a few things playing with one of the affected PCs. First, if I set it to a static IP (specify in IP properties on client), it will reboot fine, and everything works. If I have it obtain, that's where problems come in. Also, Preparing Network Connections takes ~5 Minutes.
Also, it is every Windows 2000 machine, without exception, that has the Firewall Client installed. Machines set to use a proxy are fine (all our servers).

No drive imaging at all. Just the standard pop in the Windows 2000 CD and away I go.

Repair under Add/Remove Programs has no effect.
Disabling/Enabling Network Connection has no effect.
I've waited about 10-15 minutes for the /renew to time out. Still waiting.

Exactly how would I determine if my DHCP server IS working correctly. I know that all the clients (2 XP, 7-8 2000, 7-8 Win98/Me) get their IPs fine and renew when they expire just fine. Is there some kind of test I can run?

FYI: Just installed Firewall Client on a fresh 2000 machine and it's been sitting at Preparing Network Connections for the last 20 minutes.

Thanks for your help
Steve Houck

Post #: 5
RE: Win2k: Firewall Clients have no network (LAN) acces... - 15.Oct.2003 8:46:00 PM   
AbqBill

Hi Steve,

I wonder if the problem is with your DHCP server, then. I would check your DHCP server's configuration and see what options you are passing to clients. Does the DHCP server have any errors?

HTH,

Bill

Post #: 6
RE: Win2k: Firewall Clients have no network (LAN) acces... - 17.Oct.2003 12:04:00 AM   
swabbies

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one. I have been having the exact same issues with my domain. Static IP's work great with the firewall, but Dynamic IP's cause the machine to receive 0.0.0.0 as their address.
I thought the issue would be resolved after I made the wpad changes in my dhcp scope(as recommended by the article http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Automating_the_Configuration_of_the_Firewall_Client_Part_1.html) but the behavior is still the same. I am really confused.

Post #: 7
RE: Win2k: Firewall Clients have no network (LAN) acces... - 18.Oct.2003 1:44:00 AM   
fogbank

I am glad to say that your troubles are over!

[Smile]

HERE

Post #: 8
RE: Win2k: Firewall Clients have no network (LAN) acces... - 18.Oct.2003 6:07:00 AM   
swabbies

I really appreciate your help on finding the post. I will try it out on Monday.

Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Win2k: Firewall Clients have no network (LAN) access on reboot Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts