• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Bug in IE for Instant Messenger?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Cache] >> Web Proxy Client >> Bug in IE for Instant Messenger? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bug in IE for Instant Messenger? - 6.Mar.2002 5:00:00 PM   
rmatthewcole

We are currently doing some testing with MS instant messenger. We are using the version that connects to the internal exchange server behind the firewall(not even in the DMZ). Our issue seems to be that the MS instant messenger works fine as long as the IE setting is not set to use the ISA server as the proxy. We have checked not to use the proxy for local address and also checked the option to not use the proxy for the local Domain, yet we get an authentication error when IE has the proxy option selected. We do not have the issue with this disabled. Since we are authenticaing against the local exchange server, why should the proxy setting make a difference? Is this a bug? Has anyone else found a way to correct this?
Post #: 1
RE: Bug in IE for Instant Messenger? - 6.Mar.2002 6:45:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Matt,

I don't have a solution, but if you check my article about MSN Messenger at www.isaserver.org/shinder in the 'blocking dangerous apps' article, you'll see that this little piece of malware does it best to subvert security, like checking your IE settings, even when you configure the messenger to ignore the proxy.

I don't know if there is a way to fix this [Frown]

Thanks!

Tom

(in reply to rmatthewcole)
Post #: 2
RE: Bug in IE for Instant Messenger? - 6.Mar.2002 8:37:00 PM   
rmatthewcole

Thanks for the reply. I would tend to agree if we were actually going outside the firewall for the connection. We are not really bypassing any security features though since all clients are behind the firewall anyway, and we are not allowing connections to Microsoft's public server. It looks to me as if IE is just sending EVERYTHING to the proxy server even if it is a local address. If this is correct, why is the box to "Bypass proxy server for local addresses" even there?

(in reply to rmatthewcole)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Cache] >> Web Proxy Client >> Bug in IE for Instant Messenger? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts