• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

General proxy questions

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Cache] >> Web Proxy Client >> General proxy questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
General proxy questions - 27.Nov.2002 5:56:00 PM   
wgb

We are looking at the ISA server as a possible product to install. Here are my questions:
1. How fast is the raw proxy, will we see a slow down using the proxy as opposed to a direct connection?
2. Are there any types of web pages that have problems with the ISA proxy server? PHP, CGI, ASP...
3. Is the Windows 2000/ISA Proxy capable of handling a sustained 20Mbs if the hardware provides the needed horsepower?
4. Does the ISA server support WCCP?
5. Is failover built into the architecture? How about clustering?
6. How stable (downtime wise) is the Windows 2000/ISA Server combo?

WGB
Post #: 1
RE: General proxy questions - 27.Nov.2002 11:30:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi W,

Inline:

We are looking at the ISA server as a possible product to install. Here are my questions:
1. How fast is the raw proxy, will we see a slow down using the proxy as opposed to a direct connection?
--What do you mean by "raw proxy"? The Web Proxy client is the fastest configuration and a lot faster than plain Win2k NAT or SecureNAT

2. Are there any types of web pages that have problems with the ISA proxy server? PHP, CGI, ASP...
--Sites that embed IP addresses in the source code are a real problem. Many poorly coded Java applets seems problematic, but there are workarounds that I use to create the minimum of discomfort.

3. Is the Windows 2000/ISA Proxy capable of handling a sustained 20Mbs if the hardware provides the needed horsepower?
--The Web Proxy services has been tested and easily supported up to 400Mbps throughput. RAM and processor requirements are depedendent on the number of rules/packets/second

4. Does the ISA server support WCCP?
--Hasn't Cisco gone out of business yet? [Big Grin]
No, it doesn't.

5. Is failover built into the architecture? How about clustering?
--You can use CARP and the autoconfiguration script for load-balancing and a mild level of failover. You can use NLB for true fail over. RainWall gives you the best of both worlds

6. How stable (downtime wise) is the Windows 2000/ISA Server combo?
--My ISA Server was running for 201 days before I had to restart the machine a couple of days ago.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to wgb)
Post #: 2
RE: General proxy questions - 22.Jan.2007 6:10:14 PM   
TheRealLambera

quote:

--Sites that embed IP addresses in the source code are a real problem. Many poorly coded Java applets seems problematic, but there are workarounds that I use to create the minimum of discomfort.

So I have run into this with a client of mine. There web page which is hosted external is prolly wrote php/java for an application that is used.

External viewing of course is fine.

They have SBS 2k3 R2 currently running ISA 2000.

Question: If its only an issue with ISA 2000 then I can just move them to 2004 if not what are the work around mentioned?

Thanks for a quick reply.

PM of Windows Server Longhorn Field Readiness

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: General proxy questions - 26.Feb.2007 9:08:56 PM   
tshinder

Hi Real,

Most likely 2004 or 2006 won't fix the problem if the application isn't written to support HTTP 1.1 compliant CERN Web proxy servers.

The solution is to configure the particular site for Direct Access -- they allows the client application to bypass the Web proxy service when accessing the site.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to TheRealLambera)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Cache] >> Web Proxy Client >> General proxy questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts