• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Need some guidance as to where to start first...

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Installation >> Need some guidance as to where to start first... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need some guidance as to where to start first... - 15.May2002 8:16:00 PM   
Debbiek

Dear Dr. Shinder,

I recently setup an Exchange 2000 server. I have approximately 50 clients using MS Outlook 2000 to access e-mail on the exchange server. Internet/E-mail is handled through Outlook 2000 using POP 3 and an ISP outside of the company. I have a server that has had Windows 2000 loaded onto it with SP2. I am new to both of these servers, and Windows 2000. I am hoping that someone can tell me how to configure the exchange server behind the ISA server. I guess I need the basics for configuring both servers.

The clients are mostly all running Terminal Server on thin clients. A few have desktops. Do I need to install the firewall client on the 3 terminal servers that I have?

Thanks for any help, I do have your ISA Server 2000 book, and have read alot of it. I guess I'm not sure what relates to my configuration.
Post #: 1
RE: Need some guidance as to where to start first... - 15.May2002 9:46:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Debbiek,

Thanks for getting the book! [Big Grin]

We didn't cover to much on Exchange Server configuration because that would take an entire book itself.

I honestly never thought about the thin client solution, or else I would have covered it. In fact, I this is the first time I even considered the issue. I'll have to run some scenarios and see how to best implement a thin client solution with the Win2k Terminal Services. You don't need to configure the Firewall client unless you need user/group based access controls. However, all the users will source from the same IP address, so this indeed would be an issue.

For some basic Exchange configuration, you can check out www.isaserver.org/shinder and the OWA article. I've been meaning to do an article on Exchange setup for the non-Exchange expert. I'll try to get to that in the near future.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to Debbiek)
Post #: 2
RE: Need some guidance as to where to start first... - 15.May2002 10:33:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi Debbiek,

I have already tested in a lab the use of the firewall client on a Citrix Metaframe XP, which is an addon for the W2K terminal services. It worked as expected with user/group authentication. So, I think it should work also on a plain W2K terminal server without problem.

As Tom noted, if you use W2K terminal services the ISA will see all request coming from the IP's of the terminal servers. So, in a production environment http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316356 could become an issue.

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to Debbiek)
Post #: 3
RE: Need some guidance as to where to start first... - 17.May2002 10:23:00 PM   
Debbiek

Thanks for the replies, so will you be looking into this a little more? I went on the Microsoft site, and they don't cover the topic much. I would sure appreciate so help and comments.

Thanks

Debbie

(in reply to Debbiek)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Installation >> Need some guidance as to where to start first... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts