• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

POP3 Connector failing to contact POP3 mail server and download

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Installation >> POP3 Connector failing to contact POP3 mail server and download Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
POP3 Connector failing to contact POP3 mail server and ... - 6.Jan.2003 6:50:00 PM   
YeOldeStonecat

Hello all, found this link from WOWN.COM. I've begun installing some SBS servers, glad I found this site.

I've generally installed SBS2K servers without using ISA for the most part, just single NIC servers. I have one home which is single NIC, I use the POP3 connector to pull down my POP3 e-mail from my ISP, and deliver to my Exchange box. Same at the office.

Now a setup I just put in last week....it's an SBS2K Server, dual NICs, using ISA, with the WAN NIC behind a NAT router on DSL. I setup the POP3 connector to download several mailboxes and deliver to the appropriate Exchange users...but it fails to grab the e-mail. Event Viewer shows an error relating to Event ID 10065...which Microsoft only lists as a name resolution problem on SBS4.5. This is an SBS2K server, latest service packs and all.

I setup the ISA through the internet connection wizard...also had to manually allow POP3 requests out for the users currently using Outlook Express....did that following an article I found here.

But my guess is...ISA is blocking the Exchange Server POP3 connector from going out and contacting mail.nameoftheirmailhost.com
Post #: 1
RE: POP3 Connector failing to contact POP3 mail server ... - 6.Jan.2003 7:09:00 PM   
thalakos

Hi!

Do you use the Microsoft Exchange Connector for POP3 Mailboxes? I believe u can only use that one with SBS4.5 and not with SBS2k.

Greetings,

RenT Kas

(in reply to YeOldeStonecat)
Post #: 2
RE: POP3 Connector failing to contact POP3 mail server ... - 6.Jan.2003 11:40:00 PM   
YeOldeStonecat

I'm using the POP3 connector that's built into SBS2000...set to download every 15 minutes. It's fully supported, and quite easy in SBS2K...I've set it up on non-ISA SBS2K installations, with only 1x NIC. This is my first going through 2x NICs and ISA....and something in ISA is stopping it from going out to retrieve e-mail from the mailhost every 15 minutes.

Post #: 3
RE: POP3 Connector failing to contact POP3 mail server ... - 7.Jan.2003 12:41:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi YOS,

Create a packet filter to allow outbound access to TCP 110.

HTH,
Tom

Post #: 4
RE: POP3 Connector failing to contact POP3 mail server ... - 7.Jan.2003 3:28:00 PM   
YeOldeStonecat

Thanks, I will give that a try this Friday.

Post #: 5
RE: POP3 Connector failing to contact POP3 mail server ... - 7.Jan.2003 7:33:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi YOS,

Let us know how it works for you!

Thanks!
Tom

Post #: 6
RE: POP3 Connector failing to contact POP3 mail server ... - 10.Jan.2003 12:34:00 AM   
YeOldeStonecat

quote:
Originally posted by tshinder:
Hi YOS,

Create a packet filter to allow outbound access to TCP 110.

HTH,
Tom

Just to double check....didn't following the advice on the following link perform your above suggestion already?

http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Making_Outlook_Express_Work_with_ISA_Server_Quick_Start_Guide.html

Post #: 7
RE: POP3 Connector failing to contact POP3 mail server ... - 11.Jan.2003 7:48:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi YOS,

That article applies to internal network clients who want to use Outlook Express to access external network mail services.

For services and client applications running on the ISA Server, you sometimes need to configure packet filters to allow them to work. For example, if you want to allow Outlook Express on the ISA Server itself to work (which is definitely *not* a best practice), you would have to create packet filters to allow SMTP and POP3. If you wanted to allow Exchange to use a POP3 connector, you would have to create a POP3 packet filter, because that Exchange connector is acting as a POP3 client application.

HTH,
Tom

Post #: 8
RE: POP3 Connector failing to contact POP3 mail server ... - 13.Jan.2003 5:30:00 PM   
YeOldeStonecat

Still not working.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: POP3 Connector
Event Category: Download
Event ID: 12052
Date: 1/13/2003
Time: 11:31:04 AM
User: N/A
Computer: Server1
Description:
POP3: An error occurred during a POP3 transaction to host <mail.nameofthisplace.com [234.567.890.12]>. For user <juser@nameofthisplace.com>. The error is 10065

and

Event Type: Error
Event Source: POP3 Connector
Event Category: Download
Event ID: 12050
Date: 1/13/2003
Time: 11:31:04 AM
User: N/A
Computer: LENDERS1
Description:
POP3: Failed to check the POP3 account for juser@nameofthisplace.com at host mail.nameofthisplace.com on port 110. The error is 10065

Post #: 9
RE: POP3 Connector failing to contact POP3 mail server ... - 15.Jan.2003 7:01:00 PM   
YeOldeStonecat

^^^Bumpity Bump Bump^^^

Post #: 10
RE: POP3 Connector failing to contact POP3 mail server ... - 16.Jan.2003 3:42:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi YOS,

The packet filter log should show the blocked POP3 packets. What is the exact config of your packet filter?

Thanks!
Tom

Post #: 11
RE: POP3 Connector failing to contact POP3 mail server ... - 20.Jan.2003 6:45:00 PM   
YeOldeStonecat

Post #: 12
RE: POP3 Connector failing to contact POP3 mail server ... - 21.Jan.2003 4:17:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi YOS,

The default POP3 packet filter only allows inbound access.

HTH,
Tom

Post #: 13
RE: POP3 Connector failing to contact POP3 mail server ... - 22.Sep.2005 2:54:00 PM   
Qzart

You have to add a Filter to allow POP3 IN/OUT as well as add mail.nameofthisplace.com to your Proxy exceptions list in internet explorer > tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > advanced. The Reason for this is because Exchange is using the System account which does not have internet privilages.

Post #: 14

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Installation >> POP3 Connector failing to contact POP3 mail server and download Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts