• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Unable to Connect to Internet

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Installation >> Unable to Connect to Internet Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unable to Connect to Internet - 2.Dec.2003 12:50:00 PM   
sankurian

Dear all,

We have 2 domain controllers with windows2000 server(servpack4). Exchange server2000 is installed in the additional domain controller, this server name as "exchange". We are connnecting to the Internet through this machine. Ourinternet connection is using a modem and a broadband satellite receiver card. The uplink is using the modem and the downloading is using the satellite receiver card.

We tried to install ISA server in this machine. But after ISA server installation, We are not able to access Internet.

Can anybody help us?

Thanks and regards,
Post #: 1
RE: Unable to Connect to Internet - 3.Dec.2003 2:44:00 PM   
dwynne

I have having the same problem. Totally different set up (2 NICs, one to the 192.168 local network and one on a static IP on our partial T1) - but the same result.

It looks like ISA server/firewall installs with EVERYTHING blocked. On the ISA machine itself I can't hit the Internet, nor can a route through it via the local IP. In the latter case I get "blocked" notices in the logs.

If I stop the ISA services then the ISA PC can surf just fine - when I restart them it is blocked.

Did you check your logs to see what, if anything it has?

Assuming you have the same problem I do - there is something I am missing [Smile] I made rules to allow my machine to route through the box to the Internet - and for the box itself to do so (there is an article here on the latter) and still no go.

I am thinking of un-installing and starting over - I have been hammering on this for several days with my boss breathing down my neck [Mad]

Maybe someone will step in and answer your question - and mine.

Dennis

(in reply to sankurian)
Post #: 2
RE: Unable to Connect to Internet - 3.Dec.2003 4:11:00 PM   
Linke Loe

You have to have a protocol rule, allowing all or some protocols defined under protocol definitions. Without a protocol rule there will be no traffic allowed through ISA.

In addition, you need a site and content rule, allowing traffic to certain destinations.

(in reply to sankurian)
Post #: 3
RE: Unable to Connect to Internet - 4.Dec.2003 9:45:00 PM   
dwynne

quote:
Originally posted by Linke Loe:
You have to have a protocol rule, allowing all or some protocols defined under protocol definitions. Without a protocol rule there will be no traffic allowed through ISA.

In addition, you need a site and content rule, allowing traffic to certain destinations.

I had these set up, still no go.

I made new rules, basically "allow" rules for any protocol from anyone to any site - still no go. I don't how I could have gotten them wrong - those allow everything rules are really simple (it seems).

I get this in the log when I try to surf from the ISA machine:

2003-12-04 20:31:31 65.105.1xx.xxx 216.239.51.99 Tcp 3321 80 SYN BLOCKED 65.105.1xx.xxx
2003-12-04 20:31:37 65.105.1xx.xxx 216.239.51.99 Tcp 3321 80 SYN BLOCKED 65.105.1xx.xxx

Thanks!
Dennis

(in reply to sankurian)
Post #: 4
RE: Unable to Connect to Internet - 4.Dec.2003 10:29:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi Dennis,

when you want to surf from ISA itself, configure IE as a web proxy client by using ISA_internal_IP:8080 as proxy settings.

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to sankurian)
Post #: 5
RE: Unable to Connect to Internet - 5.Dec.2003 6:19:00 PM   
dwynne

Thanks for the reply, Stefaan.

I could not surf from the proxy machine itself OR from my machine when I tried to route through it.

I am trying to set ISA up as in "invisible" proxy - like a LINUX IPCop box or hardware router (but with more features and control). From reading the docs and Mr. Shinder's book - this SHOULD be possible, right? No need to clients to be installed on the workstations and no need to change settings on them - just change their default gateway IP to be the "local" NIC in the ISA server?

Anyway, I removed the ISA server and I am going to start over - just in case.

Dennis

(in reply to sankurian)
Post #: 6
RE: Unable to Connect to Internet - 5.Dec.2003 10:21:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi Dennis,

if I understand you correctly, you will use only SecureNAT clients. Right?

If that's the case, the SecureNAT clients must be able to resolve DNS names on their own. So, do you have an internal DNS server? Also, check out the ISA interface settings (see http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Configuring_ISA_Server_Interface_Settings.html ) and the LAT. The LAT should only contain your internal IP range.

If you won't IE on ISA itself to be a Web Proxy client, you need to create an IP packet filter to allow outbound HTTP access (TCP port 80 outbound).

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to sankurian)
Post #: 7
RE: Unable to Connect to Internet - 8.Dec.2003 8:50:00 PM   
dwynne

I un-installed and re-installed ISA and it works now - don't ask me how/why.

It had previously made "allow all" rules and it did not work - now it does.

Dennis

(in reply to sankurian)
Post #: 8
RE: Unable to Connect to Internet - 8.Dec.2003 11:40:00 PM   
dwynne

I should also point out that I had a "default gateway" on my LOCAL NIC - looking through some of the notes and tutorials here I realized that was a mistake. There were also events in the event log about "could not create a packet filter".

I was going in from 192.168.1.115 to the local NIC at 192.168.1.112(for example) and I had the local NIC with a primary gateway of 192.168.1.1. So I think it was trying to route packets back to me via the gateway or something. In any case, I blanked this out as it was incorrent and it had been working well today.

I have lots of other issues and problems, but at least I can surf the internet via the ISA server now [Smile]

Dennis

(in reply to sankurian)
Post #: 9
RE: Unable to Connect to Internet - 9.Dec.2003 12:28:00 AM   
spouseele

Hi Dennis,

good to hear you have it working so far! [Smile]

Thanks,
Stefaan

(in reply to sankurian)
Post #: 10
RE: Unable to Connect to Internet - 3.Jan.2004 9:33:00 PM   
surdash

Hi sankurian

go in access policy > ip packet filter and make new filter name it self.click next then again click next.now click custom and then click nect until this is finidhed.this is the most right way to run internet on isa server machine.

(in reply to sankurian)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Installation >> Unable to Connect to Internet Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts