• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

GFI Vs WebMarshal + ISA Anyone?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> GFI Vs WebMarshal + ISA Anyone? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GFI Vs WebMarshal + ISA Anyone? - 1.Mar.2003 4:24:00 AM   
robX

Hi ,

Anyone done a compare of GFI download security manager and Webmarshal ? or suggest anything else ?!

Requirements:
Enterprise Management + Reporting
Virus scanning
Content scanning / management
3000+ user base
etc etc etc....

Thanks
Rob
Post #: 1
RE: GFI Vs WebMarshal + ISA Anyone? - 4.Mar.2003 12:15:00 PM   
Jason Jones

I normally recommend the following:

Control: SurfControl Web Filter for ISA
AV: Trend Micro WebProtect for ISA

Why? - both ISAPI plugins

Why Trend? Good AV, allows you to trickle as you scan so clients dont see a delay as downloads are scanned. Good for enterprise

Why SurfControl? Very intuitive, very flexible and largest URL database + mature product + good for enterprise

JJ

(in reply to robX)
Post #: 2
RE: GFI Vs WebMarshal + ISA Anyone? - 11.Mar.2003 10:13:00 AM   
jmjarvis

Hey Guys,

I'm also running the products Jason has mentioned BUT:

1) Surfcontrol - I agree probably the biggest database of categorised sites. They also have something called Virtual Control Agent (VCA) which scans the page and makes a decision wether to allow or deny based on its contents. HOWEVER: This product does have its "problems". They currently categorise sites by URL AND/OR IP address which can be a major headache. For example if the IP address of an old site, categorised as Adult/Sexually explicit, is given to another legitimate site and this site isn't categorised by its own name then it will be categorised by Adult/Sexually explicit and blocked depending on your policy. This doesn't sound very likely but believe me I'm coming across 10-15 a day that fall into this category. After speaking to Surfcontrol on this - they are currently "reviewing" this issue.

2) Trend Webprotect - A good product BUT again does have it problems. There have been a couple of viruses that it did NOT catch that other products did. Although I have to say the update for this "incident" came out very very quickly. It also needs IIS installed on your ISA box for installation of this product which, in my opinion, is a BIG NO NO [Eek!] [Eek!] . Sure you can uninstall it after the install but it leaves you configuring the product via a flat text file and re-starting services. It also DOES NOT check SMTP.

I've seen the webcast for the Symantec AV plug-in and from what I can see its very impressive. I recommend you look at both. If you are not phased [Eek!] by running IIS on your ISA and don't want SMTP virus checking and are ok configuring it through the flat file then Trend Webprotect is for you. If not checkout SAV for ISA.

HTH

Jas

[ March 11, 2003, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Jason Jarvis ]

(in reply to robX)
Post #: 3
RE: GFI Vs WebMarshal + ISA Anyone? - 11.Mar.2003 10:53:00 AM   
robX

Hi Thanks for the reply, but what about from the Enterprise point of view.

EG. We have internet access sites all over the globe we want to administrate all from one console without having to connect to each one, also we would like to be able to do reports globally without again connecting to each one.. basically we want a product that was designed with enterprise management / reporting in mind... ps also a working product would be good..

Cheers
Rob

(in reply to robX)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> GFI Vs WebMarshal + ISA Anyone? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts