• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

udp 137, 138

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> VPN >> udp 137, 138 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
udp 137, 138 - 23.Sep.2002 11:03:00 PM   
Barryh

ISA Server setup to allow incoming VPN. External clients can login and connect just fine, but I have never been able to get name resolution to help, even with all the fine help from this message board several months ago. Cliens can connect to anything if they use IP addresses instead of names. And yes, believe me, we have been over all the settings. The client is getting the wins server address.

What I noticed now though, by examining the IP log, is that ISA is blocking attempts of the client to conenct to udp ports 137 and 138, the netbios name service and datagrm protocols. Do I need to configure some kind of incoming rule for these? I did not think these would be needed for a vpn connection to resolve name. . I must be missing something here, but I have never read any kind of instruction about configuring rules for these to get incoming VPN to work. I am sure that I have just displayed brute ignorance here, but I am willing to humuliate myself to solve this problem!
Post #: 1
RE: udp 137, 138 - 24.Sep.2002 6:13:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Barry,

No brute ignorance at all [Big Grin] But the ISA Server does not examine the VPN traffic, so ISA Server Protocol Rules do not apply to it. When you do an IPCONFIG on the VPN client, it does't show the IP address of the WINS server?

Thanks!

Tom

(in reply to Barryh)
Post #: 2
RE: udp 137, 138 - 24.Sep.2002 6:57:00 PM   
Barryh

Hi Tom.

That is what I thought. And IPCONFIG does show the WINS server which is assigned from the ISA internal NIC. Everything looks good, but name resolution just does not work, so no browsing. It is a pain to show our users how to do a "net use" with IP addresses! [Roll Eyes]

Thaks,
Barry

(in reply to Barryh)
Post #: 3
RE: udp 137, 138 - 25.Sep.2002 3:43:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Barry,

Are these dreaded Win9x clients? In that case, the local hard-coded WINS servers will override anything assigned by the VPN server.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to Barryh)
Post #: 4
RE: udp 137, 138 - 26.Sep.2002 12:29:00 AM   
Barryh

Tom,

These are Win2000 and XP clients. I have a further clue: After the client connects, The network can be browsed and the servers and PC's show up. But when you try to access a server to see the shares, by double clicking the server icon or mapping a drive, then you get the dreaded "Network path cannot be found" error.

But if you map a drive using the IP address of the server as in \\192.168.10.30\share, then you are prompted for credentials and the drive is mapped, and it works.

-Barry

(in reply to Barryh)
Post #: 5
RE: udp 137, 138 - 18.Oct.2002 10:08:00 PM   
davidf@archtoronto.org

Hi Barry,

I have the same browsing problem as you reported for your VPN clients. Did you ever manage to resolve this problem

(in reply to Barryh)
Post #: 6
RE: udp 137, 138 - 19.Oct.2002 6:15:00 PM   
tshinder

Hey guys,

The solution is to join the remote client to the internal network domain, and then log on using dial up networking.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to Barryh)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> VPN >> udp 137, 138 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message