• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Cannot browse the LAN from a remote vpn client

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> VPN >> Cannot browse the LAN from a remote vpn client Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cannot browse the LAN from a remote vpn client - 29.Oct.2002 9:57:00 PM   
davidf@archtoronto.org

I am running ISA in inegrated mode cache & firewall. Win2K vpn clients are authenticated OK and can ping internal IP addresses on the LAN behind the ISA Server but cannot resolve netbios names of WinNT or Win9X PC's. They can reslove Win2K PC's though. This is a WinNT domain with ISA server running as a Win2K member server. Does anyone know what the problem is??
Post #: 1
RE: Cannot browse the LAN from a remote vpn client - 29.Oct.2002 10:11:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi David,

1. Make sure the VPN clients are assigned a WINS server address

2. Make sure the VPN clients are members of the internal network domain

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to davidf@archtoronto.org)
Post #: 2
RE: Cannot browse the LAN from a remote vpn client - 30.Oct.2002 3:40:00 AM   
davidf@archtoronto.org

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your suggestions. The WINS server address is assigned to the VPN client by the DHCP server just like regular network clients. I can see this by doing an ipconfig on the VPN client while connected. Also the VPN client is a member of the domain; I can log in and browse OK if I attach it directly to the LAN instead of remotely.
I do not have an internal DNS server on my LAN, however. Is this absolutely necessary or will WINS do it for me? (I tried setting up a DNS server but started experiencing network problems with clients whenever they renewed their DHCP leases [Eek!] so I shut it down after about a week [Confused] )

Post #: 3
RE: Cannot browse the LAN from a remote vpn client - 30.Oct.2002 4:51:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi David,

You don't need DNS, but you should be able to resolve the NetBIOS names of all the WINS clients. I would check the WINS database and make sure the clients are registering with WINS.

HTH,
Tom

Post #: 4
RE: Cannot browse the LAN from a remote vpn client - 1.Nov.2002 4:08:00 PM   
davidf@archtoronto.org

Hi Tom,
Many thanks for your valuable advice. I had a look at the WINS database and discovered that most of the older servers including PDC & BDC were missing. A quick check of their TCP/IP WINS settings revealed an ip address pointing to a WINS server that no longer exists. (bad bad administrator....sound of wrist being slapped!).
Once I corrected this problem the browsing problem disappeared. Also, looking at the WINS documentation, I've probably reduced my overall network traffic by reducing the number of broadcasts. Once again, Tom, many thanks for your help.

Post #: 5
RE: Cannot browse the LAN from a remote vpn client - 1.Nov.2002 5:51:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi David,

Thanks!

Good to hear you got things working! [Big Grin]

Thanks for the follow up!
Tom

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> VPN >> Cannot browse the LAN from a remote vpn client Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts