• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Change the Amount of RAM used by the Web Proxy Cache

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Tips & Tricks >> Change the Amount of RAM used by the Web Proxy Cache Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Change the Amount of RAM used by the Web Proxy Cache - 18.Jun.2001 6:47:00 PM   
tshinder

The ISA Server Web Proxy Service uses a RAM cache to insure that requests for cached objets are answered as quickly as possible. However, if you notice that the W3PROXY.EXE process is using more RAM than you're comfortable with, you can change the percentage of Free RAM in the Advanced Properties of the Web Cache configuration.

Keep in mind that the Web Cache is not using a fixed amount of RAM, just a percentage of free RAM. Therefore, ISA Server will release RAM as required by other applications and services that require it.

HTH,
Tom

------------------
Tom Shinder
http://www.isaserver.org/shinder/

Get It Here

Post #: 1
RE: Change the Amount of RAM used by the Web Proxy Cache - 30.Dec.2002 9:20:00 PM   
It's correct that ISA should release the RAM for use by other apps. But I found that if you leave the default, 50% of RAM for Cache, and have a large number of users, it will cause the web proxy service to crash, ultimately resulting in no internet access for your users. Microsoft recomended I set this to 20%.

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 2
RE: Change the Amount of RAM used by the Web Proxy Cache - 31.Dec.2002 8:31:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Jeff,

Interesting info. How much RAM to you have in your machines? In a machine with 1 GB+ of RAM, I've had no problems setting it at 80% for several hundred simultaneous connections.

For less busy shops, I've set it at 90% with no problems.

Did MS explain the magic of the 20% figure?

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: Change the Amount of RAM used by the Web Proxy Cache - 3.Jan.2003 2:55:00 PM   
Win2k

I have ISA running for my sales dept with just over 100 users on a p4 1.5ghz with 256mb of ram (I need more) with the ram caching set to 90% and have never had a problem.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 4
RE: Change the Amount of RAM used by the Web Proxy Cache - 17.Feb.2003 12:55:00 PM   
hbarun@sbic.co.za

I have 11 ISA Satellite servers which have a 80-100 users. I to have set these servers to use 80% of available memory.
The 2x Enterprise ISA servers which have 4000 users and are load balancing are also set-up to 80%of available memory.
I attended the MS ISA course and they have recommended to increase memory allocation between 70-80% to have MAX caching preformances

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Change the Amount of RAM used by the Web Proxy Cache - 18.Feb.2003 12:50:00 PM   
nikwatts

hbarun - how much RAM do you have in the satellites and enterprise servers. I ask because I am having problems if trying to use >2gig and I'm not sure whether it's ISA / OS.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Tips & Tricks >> Change the Amount of RAM used by the Web Proxy Cache Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts