• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Unreat Tournament Server Publishing

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> Unreat Tournament Server Publishing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unreat Tournament Server Publishing - 7.Nov.2001 5:29:00 PM   
georgum

Hi,

i have a big problem on publishing a game server behind my isa server.

My ISA server has 4 Nic`s, 3 for external IP adresses (212.186.xxx.xxx) and 1 for internal use (10.0.0.3).
Only one external NIC`s i have a default gateway to prevent routing problems.

I want to publish Game Servers (UT and OPF) an a computer in my LAN (IP 10.0.0.2) to can access them from the internet.
The UT Server needes the UDP ports 7777-7790 but normally 7777 and 7778 is enough.
I create fnr each port a seperate protocol rule and a seperate server publishing rule but no client can connect through the isa server to the game server.
I have the same problem with Operation Flashpoint and the game voice server, no client can connect from the internet through the ISA server.
The server publishing rule for the MXS2K Server works fine without problems. !

Please help me if someone know a resolution.

thx
georgum

Post #: 1
RE: Unreat Tournament Server Publishing - 7.Nov.2001 8:20:00 PM   
Jez

Hey,
As I remember, doesnt UT create a path back to the client on a random hight port? (Cant test as ive uninstalled it now). If it does, make sure to enter outbound secondary connections into the protocol definition dont know what ports it uses, try 1024-65535 to start and tighten down after it works).

Either way, id look at the IP Packet Filter and firewall logs (easiest way to do this is to download bt-Patrol from www.burstek.com, realtime log viewer) to see if any requests are being blocked. I know ive had UT working on an ISA server itself using packet filters, but the same ports should apply to protocol rules.

Out of interest, why do you have 3 external NICs with 1 IP, and not just bind 3 IP addresses to 1 external NIC? (sorry, the answer maybe obvious, but im very tired)

------------------
Regards,
Jez
email: jez@ateallthepies.com
www: www.ateallthepies.com

[This message has been edited by Jez (edited 07 November 2001).]

(in reply to georgum)
Post #: 2
RE: Unreat Tournament Server Publishing - 7.Nov.2001 9:34:00 PM   
georgum

lol

jap i know,

but my ISP is so stupid (
i have 3 official ip adresses but my provider bind every ip adress to a mac adress of a nic
so i need 3 NIC`s for each IP one.
i know this is stupid but what can i do ??

(in reply to georgum)
Post #: 3
RE: Unreat Tournament Server Publishing - 7.Nov.2001 9:42:00 PM   
georgum

Hi again

no, UT only requires the UDP port 7777 and 7778

with SUSE Linux and a IP Tables wall it works fine with this ports but not with the ISA server
i have the same problem with Gamevoice and OPF

(in reply to georgum)
Post #: 4
RE: Unreat Tournament Server Publishing - 7.Nov.2001 9:53:00 PM   
purdues

This may sound dumb, but in order to configure ISA to allow UDP ports 7777 to 7778 do I just create a Protocol Definition and add it to the Access Policy (sorry, I'm new to ISA Server). What are the actual steps I need to take?

Thanks again.

(in reply to georgum)
Post #: 5
RE: Unreat Tournament Server Publishing - 8.Nov.2001 12:18:00 AM   
Jez

Depends if you want to play on the internet, or host your own server:

To play on the internet, you need outbound ports UDP ports 7777 and 7778:

1. Create a protocol definition for each port (allow UDP 7777 out, then UDP 7778 out etc)

2. Create a protocol rule (under access policy as you say) and select the two protocol definitions you have created.

To host a game behind ISA:

1. Create the protocol definitions as before, but this time create inbound UDP 7777 and 7778

2. Create 2 server publishing rules, 1 for the 7777 inbound protocol definition, and 1 for the 7778 definition. Note you don't need to create protocol rules for the inbound connections, server publishing will take care of this. Map the external address of ISA (or any external IP address you have) to the internal address of the unreal server. It can even be the ISA server itself (in this case enter the IP of the internal card)

Good luck!

------------------
Regards,
Jez

(in reply to georgum)
Post #: 6
RE: Unreat Tournament Server Publishing - 8.Nov.2001 9:50:00 AM   
purdues

Thanks for the help Jez. At the moment I just want to play on the Internet - I may set-up a server at a later date.

I've set-up the protocol definitions like you said but am still having problems. This is what I've done: -

1. Created protocol UDP on port 7777 as Send
2. Created protocol UDP on port 7778 as Send
3. Created protocol TCP on port 7777 as Outbound.
4. Created protocol TCP on port 7778 as Outbound.
5. Added a protocol rule which encompasses all four definitions above.

When I then open the UT Browser window to search for servers, I get a message saying that it's timed out getting the Master Server list from master0.gamespy.com.

(in reply to georgum)
Post #: 7
RE: Unreat Tournament Server Publishing - 8.Nov.2001 11:24:00 AM   
Jez

Hey Purdues,
First, i think you may need to make the UDP send definitions send recieve instead, otherwise the ISA is allowed to send the traffic outbound, but not respond to the incomming connection. Apart from that, the setup looks good.

If that doesnt help though, (and I always suggest this) download bt-patrol from http://www.burstek.com/ptform.htm (fill in the simple form). Load that and it will show you in realtime which packets are being allowed/blocked (check IP packet filter and firewall logs). bt-Patrol will show a spreadsheet type view, with Remote IP, local IP, remote port, local port etc. You will be able to see what ports are being blocked, and create additional filters for them.

Also, I presume you are running UT on a machine behind ISA server, not the ISA server itself? If you are running UT on the ISA server you will have to use packet filters instead (same ports/directions though).

------------------
Regards,
Jez

[This message has been edited by Jez (edited 08 November 2001).]

(in reply to georgum)
Post #: 8
RE: Unreat Tournament Server Publishing - 8.Nov.2001 11:34:00 AM   
Cyber_Max

Regarding OFP server, I think the problem hosting a server behind isa is not easyer than getting FlashPoint to work at all behind ISA.

I can get connected to an external server running Flashpoint on my workstation, but when i "join".. it just times out. I have tested the log thing (mentioned in the previous post), but it does not show any "denied".. I can see ALLOWED ps 2234 (flashpoint server port), and on port 6073 (DirectX8 DirectPlay), but that's it.. just times out..

I am running the firewall client. I have tested this with an "allow all" protocol definition, and also defining protocol definitions following the "DirectPlay games" settings on the "Learning Zone" link.

Just won't work.. The specs for DirectX8 GOT to be more than what microsoft says.. It has to be some other thing besides these ports.. Or Maybe firewall client settings?

CyberMax

(in reply to georgum)
Post #: 9
RE: Unreat Tournament Server Publishing - 8.Nov.2001 2:09:00 PM   
Jez

Strange, as if your running the firewall client, and got an "any" protocol rule (all ip traffic) then everything should be allowed through (as you say, nothing is blocked in bt-patrol).

What about opening up all packet filters as well? There is a known issue with ISA where it will periodically drop UDP packets (i never experienced this, but its rumoured to be fixed in SP1). The workaround for the problem is to open up packet filters as well as protocol rules. Try a "all ip traffic" packet filter as well as protocol rule??

I also have found (mainly with old games not using directplay though) that ive had to publish out the required port number with server publishing rules (even though i wasnt hosting, Duke3d didnt work without server publishing rules).

Grasping at straws here I know, i'll try to come up with something more concrete.

------------------
Regards,
Jez

[This message has been edited by Jez (edited 08 November 2001).]

(in reply to georgum)
Post #: 10
RE: Unreat Tournament Server Publishing - 8.Nov.2001 2:13:00 PM   
Cyber_Max

I have already tested to open up the packet filter allowing ALL traffic both ways to the server, even thoug as you say this should not have anything to do with ISA clients..

But.. No it did not help.

Maybe DX8 does some strange "send ipadress to other side, so that everything is sure to fuck up if you are using nat" No.. it does not, because i had this working flawlessly using Win2K RRAS. What i did then was to forward packets to port 6073, 2234, 2300-2305, 1024-1030 . I have tested the same by trying server bublishing, but no avail..

CyberMax

(in reply to georgum)
Post #: 11
RE: Unreat Tournament Server Publishing - 8.Nov.2001 3:55:00 PM   
Jez

Hmmm...Well, im off to PC world to buy 2 games, Mech commander 2 and Operation flashpoint, as people seem to be having problems with these (directplay 8i in general). I'll give it all ago (i'll try it with ISA SP1 as well), and let you know the results.

------------------
Regards,
Jez

(in reply to georgum)
Post #: 12
RE: Unreat Tournament Server Publishing - 8.Nov.2001 5:13:00 PM   
purdues

Thanks again Jez for your help. I did some more digging around and managed to find all the info you need for setting and connecting to a UT server here : http://unreal.epicgames.com/Master.htm

I've managed to get the master server list loaded into the browser window. Once again these are the settings I've made to ISA Server: -

1. Allow TCP Outbound on port 27900
2. Allow TCP Outbound on port 28900
3. Allow TCP Outbound on port 7777
4. Allow TCP Outbound on port 7778
5. Allow TCP Outbound on port 7779
6. Allow UDP Send Receive on port 27900
7. Allow UDP Send Receive on port 28900
8. Allow UDP Send Receive on port 7777
9. Allow UDP Send Receive on port 7778

So, after some digging around and testing of these ports it finally works. Hope this helps anyone else who's got the same problem.

Simon.

(in reply to georgum)
Post #: 13
RE: Unreat Tournament Server Publishing - 8.Nov.2001 6:10:00 PM   
JaimeP

Great Simon! Thanks for the info! Do you know if the Firewall client is needed or not to play this game? I'll be adding this info to the game list too. Thanks!

-Jaime

------------------
-JaimeP
ISA Server Game/Apps Port List

(in reply to georgum)
Post #: 14
RE: Unreat Tournament Server Publishing - 9.Nov.2001 10:39:00 AM   
purdues

Hi Jamie,

Well, I have got the Firewall Client installed and it works with it enabled.

I just disabled it and tried UT again and the server list still appears in the UT browser window. So, it looks as if it doesn't matter whether you've got the Firewall Client installed or not.

Regards,
Simon.

(in reply to georgum)
Post #: 15
RE: Unreat Tournament Server Publishing - 29.Dec.2001 3:04:00 AM   
markos

I noticed that George didn't post a success note regarding ISA publishing a UT server.
Has anyone succesfully done this? UT is running on the server, and I've tried the suggested packet filters and and also tried server publishing, but it seems I can't hit the right combination to get things working. The client sits on the connecting screen and doesn't seem to progress from there. Any hints appreciated, this server is running the ISA config as set up by SBS. thanks mark

(in reply to georgum)
Post #: 16
RE: Unreat Tournament Server Publishing - 9.Jan.2002 8:12:00 PM   
cbarria

If you are still having trouble publishing a UT server behind the firewall, remember to disable the Firewall Client if installed.

I followed the instructions on the previous posts without much success until I disabled the Firewall Client. Now my server works without a hitch behind ISA.

(in reply to georgum)
Post #: 17

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> Unreat Tournament Server Publishing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts